Lubricating Delta DP 350

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press. Here is my concern: according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication. Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

I believe that is the model that Lowe's was dumping a couple of months ago. From what I understand the variable speed mechanism on those are plagued with problems. Here's a recent thread on them:

There are also quite a few negative comments on Amazon.com:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks for pointing that out. Can anyone recommend a decent drill press for around $200?

Keith Marshall wrote:

Alex

Check Grizzley's products out. Avoid Harbor Freight IMHO.

Does Delta or Jet make a DP for that price range?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Joe AutoDrill

Tim Killian

100% correct as long as you get one that you can still find parts for going forward. I have a number of customers with $200-300 workhorse machines (i.e. huge, bomb proof) with a broken this-or-that which they can't replace...

As long as you find one that works and there is at least the chance you can get a parts machine as well, you're much better off with what some call WW2 era machines.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I have a WW2 21" Super Service Cincinnati Bickford at work. 3 HP geared head and MT4 spindle, power down feed. Cincinnati-Bickfords are still supported by Giddings and Lewis- although I'm a little scared of finding out what the parts cost. In a more reasonable size machine, but for a bit more than $200, Clausing appears to be a good choice. I don't have one yet, so I can't say from experience. It seems like they don't change the models much from year to year. I have an old Gosiger which despite only having an MT1 spindle weighs close to 600 pounds. It has leather belts and is a decent drill press but lacks power due to an old 1/2 HP single phase motor which can be slowed down or stalled way too easily. One of my next projects is to replace that motor and the anemic 50 year old single phase 3/4 HP motor on my Heavy 10.

Reply to
ATP