Peacock Dial Indicator

Hi all I just got a Peacock Dial indicator from Enco for ~$27 before tax & shipping. It's a 1"; w/0.001" resolution; 10 revs /inch made in Japan. I figured that it should be reasonably accurate & durable. Hopefully better that a Chinese model & certainly not as good as an American or European. When I tested its plunger movement I was amazed by it's smoothness. Absolutely amazed. I proceeded to rotate it's dial. Good lord! It felt & sounded like sandpaper or grit inside it. I know @ $27 I don't have a right to expect much. I also know the dial smoothness isn't critical. It's been many years since I've twisted a dial so my reference is a little rusty. (Just like the dials) Is there some way I could improve it? Grease it? Should I grin & grit w/it? Or should I bite the bullet & pop for a better one. I would appreciate a little perspective from people more experienced in such matters. Happy Holidays, John

Reply to
dudleydorite9

Why not simply use it as is? While having a smooth dial travel is nice..its not particularly important, and will smooth out over time.

I dont think I own a .001 indicator....hummmm yes I do come to think of it, a couple 5" long strokes for my lathes. Everything else is .0001, with one .0005

Peacock indicators are pretty decent, and I see them in use in many many production shops. Not in the QA/Inspection Departments, but on the shop floor and the calibrators say they are consistant and seldom fail without breaking..IE..they work or they dont.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks Gunner That's what I was thinking too. I just kinda wanted to put the other possibilities out there. I really appreciate the info about them being solid. It's just the sort of experienced advice I was looking for. Happy Holidays, John

Reply to
dudleydorite9