How do they do it?

How does a soda can manufacturer print the logo and info on an aluminum can? I thought maybe they were color anodized at first because they are so durable, but after closer inspection and playing around, I think it is some kind of super durable ink spray or silk screen process.

Acetone doesn't touch it and even a wire wheel takes a slow or deliberate pass to remove it all.

Anyone know for sure?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Back when I did a little saltwater sailing, I was struck by the irony of SS rusting, but pop cans staying intact for years in a marine environment.

I think there's some kind of acrylic coating over top of the printing.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Ink-jet printing. They use a special ink that is cured with UV.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Well, if you just want to remove it, 1000°F does the trick. ;)

Even then, it leaves some shmutz stuck to the metal in the pattern of the printing though!

Tim

Tim Williams

I thought this was a great idea - so I tried it.

Round one - Forgot to remove the soda first. Exploded in my oven. Made one heck of a mess. Clean up costs $15

Round two - Removed the soda and tried again. Melted the can onto the bottom of my oven. Made one heck of a mess. Clean up cost $300

Round three - I decided to write a humorous post about how I tried something I didn't really do based on some advice that I presume was meant in jest because of the malicious simley face.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Silk-screening, then a coat of what they called 'varnish'. Saw it on 'How It's Made'. The inside of the can is coated with the same stuff to prevent soda from eating through the paper-thin aluminum. Must be some tough stuff.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Marshall

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Here is an interesting article on soda cans and about technology to print on them.

you believe they can print cans at the rate of 2,400 cans a minute?

This article leads me to believe that the varnish they put over the outside printing is different from what is sprayed on the inside to coat the can.

in TinyURL format:
Lane

Reply to
Lane