How can they do that?

I bought a portable lamp from Fred Meyers that is UL listed. It has parallel metal rods extending up to the lamp from a base that contains a 120 volt to 12 volt transformer that is not a listed Class 2 power supply. I accidentally mashed the rods together and the lamp went out. I found an open five ampere fuse in the base. I thought the wires went up inside the small tubular bars but lo and behold, no! The bright metal parallel rods are the conductors. I replaced the fuse and now this lamp sits on my desk with exposed bright metal rods with 12 volts between them.. Somehow I find this weird. The lamp is made in China.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Anything lower than 50volts is considered "safe" by the electronic industry and does not necessarily require special safety features. Also, A/C is considered more dangerous than DC.

You will note that many cars have exposed 12V terminals on the battery and you can grab both terminals without being "bitten" :-)

Another good example is the telephone circuits in a home may have up to 35V A/C but are considered "safe" and do not require safety protection.

JZ

Reply to
<jwzumwalt

This is wrong: SELV - as defined by the safety agencies - is defined as 42 V AC rms or 60 V DC (~42 * sqrt 2). When you shorted the conductors, you were saved by the fuse, put there intentionally to protect the user and equipment from over-heating.

When a reputable car manufacturer designs a car, they will take into consideration the chances of someone actually bridging the battery posts. A good design will include post covers to prevent accidental short (that can be a serious thing).

On the telephone side (PSTN): the voltage between Tip & Ring when in on-hook position is -48 V DC nominal (this is dependent on your distance from the CO or RT, and what wire gauge was laid). It is negative with reference to ground. This voltage has a current limitation of 30-60 mA. On ringing, you have ~90 V AC (20 Hz) super-imposed on the -48 V DC, so there is a chance you will see up to 130 V momentarily.

Reply to
ns