Re: Taste this critical update that comes from M$ Corporation

Is there anything one can do to stop these messages? Yesterday I got 93 of

> them in my inbox, mostly purporting to be from Microsoft, and all with a > 106kB attachment. I just deleted the lot, but I've had another 40 or so > today. Is it time to change my email address?

Gross cross-posting trimmed.

No. In that case the bastards win.

Just keep adding key words in the subject line to your spam filter.

-- Brian "Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Reply to
Brian Watson

Another option that I use is to simply use a ficticious email address so that there is no way an email can get to me via Usenet. The "from" and "reply to" address you will see on this posting is my long-dead Freeserve address, although the headers will show my current ISP. Another way of collecting email addresses is from web forms that you often need to fill in. If you really need an email response, and your ISP allows it, choose an email address that identifies where it came from. eg, if you have to fill in your email address on Acme Widgets site, type it as acme@..... If you then get spam addressed to acme@.... you know who is selling email addresses. I have caught one company selling cameras on the internet, directly, that appear to do this.

If you have to fill in an email address, but don't want email from that site, to me the obvious thing is to use something like snipped-for-privacy@donaldduck.com I say obvious, but I have watched my boss filling in web forms using a real address, then wondering why he gets so much spam...

I couldn't agree more!! Mailwasher is an excellent product, and free. It takes a while to gradually set up the filters, but I reckon is about 99% accurate at detecting spam. I just review what it wants to delete, and press the button, or if you're really confident, you don't even have to do that. The current free version only supports one account, but I believe it is not illegal to redistribute the older version that I use that does support multiple accounts.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi, I use NTL and am getting about 2 or 3 messages a day supposed to be from Microsoft, but it would appear that others are having the same trouble. A friend is on Freeserve and never uses Newsgroups but she has also had these messages. As to other ISP's I could not say. regards Moggie.Minor

Reply to
john

Not so, I have not been getting it on my usenet address but on my normal one. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I would ask your ISP to scan incoming messages for viruses.

While you are at it ask them to spam filter as well.

Works here.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

"Andrew Robson" wrote

Well it doesn't work here! My ISP are not even prepared to consider this.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My ISP (ntl) would never do this, despite a lot of pressure from users over the last 3 years to do so. My primary email addresses are provided by

and virus scanning costs extra.

--

***
*** Updated 18 September, now 533 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

What about your webhosts? From the looks of things you own a couple of domain names, were they bought as part of a hosting package or are they re-directs to space provided by your ISP? If it's hosted space your host may be prepared to install (if they haven't done so already) SpamAssassin/SpamBox or something similar.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Yes, it's worth looking at although

is hosted by my ISP so the previous comments apply.

I'm going to have to look at anti-spam email contact addresses on all three websites. The amount of spam and virus infected emails I'm getting is becoming a joke.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

May I remind you all once again of K9. You install it on your own machine, and it contacts your ISP for you, and your mail browser connects to K9.

It's easy to install, taking me all of 5 minutes.

See

John Sullivan

My ISP does this automatically, and very well. Sometimes they even bounce legitimate e-mail, but it doesn't happen often.

Reply to
MartinS

"John Sullivan" wrote

Thanks for that John. Like all filters it has a down side, in my case any email which is filtered as spam could be a legitimate customer communication. So even with a spam in-box, each email filtered would still need to be checked anyway.

The bulk of the nuisance mail I'm getting at the moment is from my anti-virus software provider, telling me about the latest email they've intercepted and either quarrantined or deleted. This is currently 50% of the emails I'm receiving. I must say I don't see the point of this, although I suspect they will use it to justify their annual fee.

John.

ANTI-SPAM E-MAIL ADDRESS: snipped-for-privacy@53amodels.kazoo.co.uk replace kazoo with karoo to reply.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

That's OK, you do that in the "recent emails" pane of K9. It's a lot easier than going thru the spam in-box.

In that case, can't you just direct those into a separate in-box?

Reply to
John Sullivan

Demon won't do it, but what they have done is set up a filter to quietly junk mails with the latest worm/virus in them, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Consider, what happens to your ISP if they start censoring email and a customer objects and takes them to court. It's better from their point of view for them to pass everything, good or bad.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Indeed John, I took your advice on that the first time and its doing really well. Thanks. After the first day of training its been 99% right. Much easier and better than setting up and continually updating filter rules. I would personally not be happy with my ISP filtering my mail, how would I know what I was missing? Only I know what is spam to me. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

If someone sends me an e-mail that my ISP's filter thinks may be spam, it will bounce it back with an explanation to that effect. If the message is important enough, the sender will contact me by other means. I didn't know this ISP had an aggressive anti-spam policy when I subscribed to it, but it does save a lot of hassle.

Reply to
MartinS