Viruses seem heavy tonight

Keep your defensive shields in good order there's a lot of it about.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

They all seem to be pretending to be from Microsoft, bug fixes or anti-virus patches. I've had at least a dozen so far. Norton hasn't recognised any of them either -and it was updated a couple of days ago. If you get an e-mail with an attachment and you don't know exactly what it is, delete it.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I read on another newsgroup that only a few of these messages actually carry a virus, hence the lack of response from Norton. I have had about a dozen such messages tonight but only two stirred Norton into life. I have a message rule set up that diverts ALL messages with attachments directly into the Deleted Items folder.

Cliff Coggin Kent UK

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

In article , Kevin Steele writes

You're lucky - I've had about 100 in the last 24hr...

Hear hear.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Kevin Steele wrote

Norton issued a new virus definition file yesterday.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Sofar today I have detected about 30 of the following inbount to my server...

W32/Swen.A@m (Norman,Sophos,NAI) W32/Gibe-F (Sophos,NAI,Norman) Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload (Kaspersky)

The email server at a friends work squashed over 1500 of these last night so brace yourselves for the onslaught!

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

What version of Norton - mine is picking them up!

ie Worm.Automat.AHB Detected as: Worm.Automat.AHB Aliases: None

No additional information.

This threat is detected by the latest Virus Definitions.

All computer users should employ safe computing practices, including:

Keeping your Virus Definitions updated. Installing Norton AntiVirus program updates, when available. Deleting suspicious looking emails.

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

OK, my definitions were a couple of days out of date. I've updated them now and it's picking them all up.

Take Steve's advice and update virus definitions more regularly than Norton tells you!

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

My Norton has picked up a bunch of them in the past few days.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

BTW - the Automat bit means they don't know what it's called, but it's guaranteed to be nasty

Had 67 instances so far today !!

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Dave Jones

Apology accepted

Dave, much as I have cursed the latest batch of emails, I THINK YOU ARE A HERO to put your head above the parapet and admit it might have been you. Lets face it anyone can do something they wish they hadn't in a moment of inattention.

The version of Norton I am running seems to check for updates every time I log on, so since I use a dial up connection it keeps me updated several times a day.

Norton Antivirus 2003 Version 9.00.68b

How this work if you have broad band and are permanently on-line I do not know.

Cheers Brian

Reply to
brian

--FWIW, in addition to the usual virii there's a staggering amount of malware out there at the moment. I just ran AdAware (a great free utility) for the first time in 3 weeks and there were something like 147 bits of this flotsam in my system!

Reply to
steamer

RTFM! the followinf from Norton Help:

You can have LiveUpdate check for protection updates automatically, on a set schedule, by enabling Automatic LiveUpdate. You must continue to run LiveUpdate manually to receive product updates. Automatic LiveUpdate checks for an Internet connection every five minutes until a connection is found, and then every four hours. If you have an ISDN router that is set to automatically connect to your Internet service provider (ISP), many connections will be made, with connection and phone charges possibly being incurred for each connection. If this is a problem, you can set your ISDN router to not automatically connect to the ISP or disable Automatic LiveUpdate in the Norton AntiVirus options

Cheers Brian

Reply to
brian

What's more alarming is the number of attempts top get into our pc's here at home and at work by outside systems. We installed Zone Alarm Pro a few weeks ago and were amazed as the alarm dialog box kept popping up every few minutes with details of various IP addresses etc. Most were the Blaster worm apparently.

It's died away a bit now, but a firewall is something you need to get hold of these days.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I got around 100, yesterday (Monday). Norton AV was going berserk trying to trap them as the emails came in. I also notice Pipex was off for a lot of the day or very slow. Looks like they were having problems with it.

Incidentally, are you guys getting a lot of junk mail with the Subject line starting "aqpb08 Get... " It seems that the Pipex broadband accounts have been targeted recently for "Sender's" ids.

it In message , Frank Erskine writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

I started using mailwasher a few weeks ago, I find it pretty good. The automat/swen virus is the worst so far as far as i am concerned, i have been getting several hundred copies a day for a week, at least with mailwasher I don't have to download them, I can delete them off the server.. mailwasher is free..

-- richard

Reply to
richard