Stirling engine model

This was a nice item:-

A freelance interpretation by a well known modeller of the engine illiustrated in Stirling's seminal 1816 patent. I rather thought it might go higher, some of Roy's models have fetched four-figure sums at 'real' auctions. With the final two bids coming within two second of the close, the eventual winner either had nerves of steel or better sniping software - I seldom cut it finer than ten or fifteen seconds just using a clock and shaking mouse finger!

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

I have been wondering about buying a more modestly priced stirling engine for my elderly father for Christmas. Ready made or easy assembly. Any opinion of the various offerings around? My father is an engineer so I would like something that is not made from pressed steel in China, and at least demonstrates the principle. I think some of the heat engines at the model shows must have caught his eye.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I must instantly recommend Julian Wood. He is a most knowledgeable and honest man & makes a range of Stirling engines at various prices. I take considerable pleasure in recommending him & here are some pics of the engine I bought from him.

If you contact me off list, I'll be delighted to pass on his contact details as he is not on the Web.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the resp>> This was a nice item:-

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Steve" wrote

As far as straightforward assembly kits (rather than casting sets requiring machining) go, the only source which springs to mind is the engineer's emporium

LK2 kit looks nice and demonstrates the principles of a hot air engine well being all transparent but does seem a tad pricey. I have built the LK1 low temperature engine which went together ok and runs well, but does rely on a few glued joints rather than 'proper' mechanical fixings.

Forest classics do a good selection of ready built engines

direct experience of these other than having seen them at various shows where they look fine - again rather expensive.

Like Kim, I am happy to recommend the affable Julian Wood of 'Sterling Stirling', I have one of his low temperature engines and Helen 'commissioned' a more complex model for my 40'th birthday

very reasonable price of which in my view no way reflects the work which went into building it. Don't expect a show finish or precision CNC machined parts, but a workmanlike job which will run well. Julian is emphatically not a businessman (or he'd probably charge a good deal more for his work!) but an enthusiastic amateur, so he builds what he wants when he wants - he will generally have a couple of his 'best sellers' on the shelf, but expect to wait for anything else.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Here's a recent thing:

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

I've got Julian Wood busy doing a job for me & went over to his place to deliver a couple of tanks in the week.

I musty admit to having come away with another model Stirling engine, this one rather like a horizontal single cylinder stationary engine. The business end of the crankshaft takes a few moments thought to sus out how it works .........

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I can see kits but no images of the completed engines - so its a surprise tour. Pay =A3100 to =A3150 and assemble to see what you get ! Plus there is a disconcerting statement that these work defying many experts. Well the experts know and understand how stirling engines work, so heaven knows how these ones work if they defy the experts.

Thanks for pointing them out, but I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. On the other hand if you buy and assemble one, do let us know what it is - or is there a completed picture on the website - as I have failed to find it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Click "enlarge image" of machined kit and that reveals a very small image of the assembled kit.

Reply to
Michael Clarke

If you then click on the small image it gives a reasonable sized image that you can see what the finished product looks like.

Reply to
Michael Clarke

I'm just a woodworker, but I read this forum, and just connected to the two.

I certainly wasn't "recommending"

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

"bugbear" wrote

I quite like the look of the vertical

again; a hundred and sixty quid for a machined kit of parts?

BTW. Have you seen Daniel Lyonett's (sp?) wooden engines?

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Er. No.

(google) Daniel wooden stirling

"Daniel Lyonnet's Engines"

That's fun!

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Aha, have found the completed engine images - that helps a lot. However, they look a lot like the engines sold by ArcEuroTrade

but more expensive. The kit of machined parts for the vertical engine is =A3159 at Axminster and is =A3140 at ArcEurotrade assembled (both prices include VAT) - at first glance they look like the same engine.

Sorry if my note sounded a bit sharp - I was a bit put off by the stupid description, and it seemed a lot of money without any pictures of the assembled engine, but that was my fault for not digging deep enough.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote

Aha, have found the completed engine images - that helps a lot. However, they look a lot like the engines sold by ArcEuroTrade

but more expensive. The kit of machined parts for the vertical engine is £159 at Axminster and is £140 at ArcEurotrade assembled (both prices include VAT) - at first glance they look like the same engine.

Sorry if my note sounded a bit sharp - I was a bit put off by the stupid description, and it seemed a lot of money without any pictures of the assembled engine, but that was my fault for not digging deep enough.

There is a lot of reselling in this game and many retailers are understandably cagey about the original source. Which has reminded me that the very eclectic Bullnet is now selling the 'solar' range from PM research in the UK

that the 'original' and 'thinking mans' offerings are based on a 1950's design by Davies Charlton
Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

It appears (perhaps unsurprisingly) that your knowledge exceeds mine:

do look similar :-)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

"Steve" wrote (snip)

However, they look a lot like the engines sold by ArcEuroTrade

but more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up on that one - particularly interested to see they sell displacer / hot cap and power piston / cylinder sets separately. Ideal for the tinkerer who wants to play around with different linkages without having to make the 'difficult' bits!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Wonder if this USA outlet is any closer to the source

(see page 42 on)? Some prices are practically dollars for pounds.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Here's three pics of my new Stirling engine.

Interesting "big end".

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Quite a bargain at £90 with Christmas hoving into view!

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

That, me old mate, is a 'Ross linkage' - patented Re. Stirling engines by Andy Ross in the mid 1970's but apparently used earlier on steam engines.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H