ltd Stirling engine

A long shot I know, but does anyone have any plans for building a ltd Stirling engine which uses a Ross yoke? TIA.

Reply to
gordon bennet

I think the Ross yoke will have a bit more friction than you want in an LTD engine. Possibly it would work if the crank pin was fitted with a tiny ballrace which ran in the yoke. It would have to be a loose fit in the yoke (which would have to have a smooth inner surface) and run around it like a racetrack.

If I wanted to build one I'd take a normal design (there's at least one online) and adapt as above.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Cheers Brian, yes, I found a normal design. I happened to see one using the Ross yoke on 'local heroes' and really like the movement.

Reply to
gordon bennet

An article appeared in Model Engineer in the mid '90's for an LTD with Ross linkage. Mine worked well but friction has to be at a minimum.

Reply to
Ken & Chris Beardsell

oops, I apparently misread "Ross yoke" as "Scotch yoke" ... ah well, Ross-shire is the nearest bit of Scottish mainland so it's an understandable mistake.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond