Strange Stirling Engine Question

Among some small sterling engines I inherited, there is one I am not sure counts as a stirling. It is smartly finished in chrome and brass
and mounted on a wooden plinth. It looks rather like a display piece rather than a working engine. However, it comes with a burner so maybe it is meant to work. Instead of two cylinders, the single main cylinder has a port to the atmosphere with a sliding valve operating it. The flame of the wicked burner is apparently to be positioned next to the port. The principle of operation seems to be that at a point on the stroke, the cylinder sucks in the flame and gets heat that way. Not wishing to spoil the smart appearance unnecessarily I have not tried it yet. What concerns me is that it is difficult enough to get small stirling engines to even run, but this one looks woefully ineffective. My question is does anyone have experience of running one of these devices? Any advice would be welcome. Regards Peter
I have an example of the Scott vacuum engine (see about half way down this page:- http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/our-own-engines/index.asp ) which I picked up fully built for the price of the casting kit (the vendor did himself no favours by saying there was no way the b****r would ever run - though to me that is quite a beguiling sales pitch!). After much tinkering with the valve phasing, flame size and position etc I had it running briefly and, thus satisfied that I had beaten it, was consigned to the far depths of the workshop.
--

Nick H

Just came across this currently available example:- http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/models_replicas_and_antiquities/ready_made_display_models/fire-eater_engine/96057.html
--

Nick H

Or a tad more economically from here:- http://forest-classics.co.uk/vacu_mini.htm
--

Nick H

That was very mean of you Nick. I've just spent half an hour deciding that I can't really justify anything they advertise - more's the pity ;o))
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/models_replicas_and_antiquities/ready_made_display_models/fire-eater_engine/96057.html
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:53:25 +0000, Peter J Seymour

It sounds like a flame licker or gulper type of Stirling.
Have a look at : http://www.stirlingengines.org.uk/modeng/modef.html
Regards
Lofty

Hi Peter, It sounds like an atmospheric engine like my 1920,s Ernst Plank. see http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1096249349028520097qwCGbi (This is the engine that Alyne Foundry borrowed to copy) Can you post a few pictures of your engine & we can probably identify it. If you don't know where to post a picture, send it to me & I will post it for you. (My E mail address looks wrong but does work)
--
Dave Croft
Warrington
Dave Croft wrote:

That's actually a bit of a challenge as I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment, but give me a few days and I will see what I can do. Regards Peter
Peter J Seymour wrote:

For many purposes, even a 10 quid "joke" camera from Tesco will work well enough.
BugBear
Peter J Seymour wrote:

Okay, I borrowed a digital camera and I have put up a picture at:
http://www.pjsey.demon.co.uk/temp/atmos.jpg
The base of the model is about 9 inches long. So the question has changed from "what is it?" to "what make is it?". Closer inspection shows that while the components of are reasonable quality, the assembly is untidy, perhaps suggesting the model was supplied as a kit of parts just requiring final assembly on the base. The valve rod has been bent to get it to line up with the cam. There is no sign of any makers name or model type. As I previously stated it is reminiscent of "Blazer", but it has a more robust valve mechanism. It is most likely from the USA but I am not entirely certain of that. Can anyone solve the identity problem? Regards Peter

Flame gulper originaly made by Solor engines of Phoenix Arizona, now made and sold by PM Research, state of New York, http://www.pmresearchinc.com
Bob Sier

Big Snip

state of New York, http://www.pmresearchinc.com

Hi Bob. If I had known you read this group I would have been more careful in my Stirling Cycle posts. Nice to see you here. By the way, do you need to be a member on the PM page as I cannot see any Stirling articles for sale. They do mention them on the page. Regards,
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Stirling articles for sale.
Click 'enter online catalogue' and navigate to here:- http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=5 Flame Eater is Solar-3
Well spotted Bob
--

Nick H

BTW I've noticed on ebay that the Solar powered stirling is now available in UK from gyroscope_dot_com http://www.gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=SOLARSTIRLING doesn't seem too bad at 200 quid or so until one looks at the doller price and considers the exchange rate. ISTR other PM research engines are available through the wierd and wonderful Bullnet site
--

Nick H

Nick H wrote:

Always have to consider shipping, VAT, customs duty and other overheads when deciding that stuff from US might be cheap.
BugBear

Very true. If the UK importer is buying at the US retail price, I'd say he's only making around 25% profit on cost. Perhaps I will put one on my Christmas list after all!
--

Nick H

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Spot on! Also I see that the other two engines in the collection also came from the Solar range. Many Thanks Peter

see
And what should appear on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0059861772
--
NHH

http://community.webshots.com/user/n_highfield
Nick H wrote:

At least that one carries some identification. Regards Peter
Peter J Seymour wrote:

==This would be a vacuum engine as first patented by The Reverend Henry Wood in 1715. Not a "Stirling", as it does not operate on the Stirling cycle. Also called Flame Gulper or Flame Licker or Caloric Engine.
Refer Lyle Cummin's Internal Fire, 3rd ed., page 13
Jack ==