slightly OT again

Hi Troops:

The thread on house overhaul and contractors and such prods me to ask for your advice about how to handle a problem. I had a very nice antique, a little child's rocking chair, walnut with a woven rattan seat, that I inherited. I was saving it for a friend who's expecting. I went to get it yesterday and it isn't where I kept it in the corner of the living room. I've gone through the whole house and it isn't to be found. There has only been one other person in the house in the last few months, a plumber and his helper who were here for several hours replacing the line out of the kitchen sink which had rusted through. They were working in both the kitchen and the basement. I can't think of anyone else who had an opportunity to grab it. I haven't had a break in of any kind, and a burglar would have taken other things than a small antique; electronics, firearms, silver, for instance. It has been almost 2 months since the plumbing repairs, so I can't very well call the police now, and I've absolutely no proof that it was the plumber or his helper that were the culprits. I have used this plumbing company in the past and their work was always satisfactory, I don't know whether to write the owner or what to do. Any advice??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Write the OWNER a very nice polite, but firm letter explaining it just like here. Make sure that you tell him you like the company and it's work. (I hope you do) See if he can ascertain whether the workmen who were there might have it. One thing about thieves, they generally always tell someone (co worker, friend) what they have done, and after this amount of time, it's a good bet he told someone already. (not that he stole it, but something like "wow you wouldn't believe this antique I have") Undoubtedly if the company is small enough (i.e., not a large chain) he will find out very quickly. and he will be pissed if true. Make him aware that the chair is all you want, nothing else.

The absolute worst thing ANY business owner can have working for them is a thief !!! If this man cares about his business, you will be doing him a HUGE favor in his mind, though he will never tell you. (legal worries) One of his people stealing the right thing in the right house can drive him out of business extremely quickly, all professional contractors know this. Make him fully aware the most important thing is to get the chair back, not your wanting to take any form legal action. If you get the chair back, he will most probably have already fired said worker, at which point I would pass on any legal action ageist the company. (the individual is another matter)

A little reward (not a big one either) wouldn't hurt, and if he responds positively the reward, and a lot praise will go a LONG way. (because real professionals know that referrals are the best source of income there is !!)

I've been working in peoples houses for 23+ years, and trust is the most important thing. There are times where I've had five peoples house keys at one time....................

Allan

Reply to
AM

For the most part I agree with Allen. Still I would include something to the effect that "I would prefer you to handle this and not have to call the police as all I really want is the chair back....." If you do not get a response or the response you want I would call the police. Even though it has been two months a crime is a crime and your timeline as stated hear is enough to warrant an investigation. Where I don't agree is with the reward. I would not offer one upfront nor do I feel you should have to "pay" someone to get your own stuff back from a guy whose employee stole it.

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott III