Re: Am I stupid? (I wana try a SLOW STICK!)

BUAHHAAAHHAAA!

**evil grin**

check out rip&burns videos, look for "slowstick combat" and "combat 2004, AZ style" Outstanding video, but requires massive bandwidth!

basically, you tape a 5 foot crepe paper streamer to your tail, and the last person 'uncut' wins - rules vary, or are non-existant. Me & the boys at the office have a scoring system, with a 20 flight championship series. cut a streamer is +5 points, outright kill +10pts, last man up +2pts, dumbthumbs crash = -2pts, did not start = -2 pts., technical problem crash = -2 pts, hit a Canada Goose =

+10pts, kill the goose = +20pts+beers afterwards at the bar. rules are: has to be originally a slowstick, any mods acceptable.

BTW, cutting streamers is rare. Full-on smashing is quite common.

Basically, this is why i wake up in the morning now. 8)

> > > oh and... 3 way combat?!?!?!!? you just run into each other?!!? > > > >your not stupid at all...i just dunno if the tranny will work. is it 27mhz? it may be > >harder to find a RX to match it. Positive shift? Neg shift? You'll need to look through > >your manuals. Worst-case, you end up buying a $25 GWS tranny or a $50 futaba 4yf

tranny.

>(ive both - no complaints) > >*OR* find a supplier of spare parts for the T-Hawk, and buy another rx for it - the > >website says that standard servos & such work with it. > > > >some of the people ive ordered from are > >

> > >all are nice, but the first guy is really flexible with what he packages up. It appears > >all have them in stock - which is unusual lately... > > > >BTW, the stock battery that comes with GWS flightpacks (7cell 730mah nimh) i didnt have > >much luck with. My best setup suggestion is > >350motor, "D" ratio > >stock 1180 prop Buy spares! > >mini servos, not pico or naro > >ics100, ics300 is better still > >GWS 6 channel rx (longer range than 4ch) > >any tx - thats compatible that is.. > >KAN 7cell 1050 batteries (lots of em! $17usd each at

> > >Get a couple friends to buy SSticks too. Its ok by yourself, but 3-way combat is a

blast!

Reply to
MikeF

ok, i tried to research this....cant find an aircraft RX on 27xx. best bet is to buy a replacement rx for the thawk, on the same frequency, and GWS servos and speed controller (std.mini servos & ics300 esc - best bet)

This will save you the hassle of pulling your current rx out of each plane every time you wanna fly the other. It also allows for a quick "back up" plane swap after a hard crash. The SS will work with the thawk batteries too - it'll carry almost any battery made under

1500mah.

tranny.

blast!

Reply to
MikeF

I would go with a 72.....Hitec Focus sells for around $85.00 and is made in single stick. Also Futaba makes a single stick. They both come with servos and reciever. I would by a spare reciever to put in either the T-Hawk or Slow Stick. Dont forget a ESC for one of them. Now you have 2 planes ready to go and can be flown with the same Tx. Good luck Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

the battle sounds interesting! feel free to post a any interesting experiences you have had with this combats i'd like to read one or two! :) (the most interesting ones of course!) also does it hurt your plane when you slam into each other? I'd hate to ruin mine so fast.. i would guses the servo's and the engine can probaly take a beating so not too much to worry about there.. but id ont nkow about the durability of the slow stick?..

Btw, i took some advices on places i asked in other aera's and i decided to just invest a few more bucks and get a new Tx.. I am getting the DREAM controller by GWS (its a 4 channel no 72mhz) actually a very nice man from a forum is selling me set of things..

1 GWT-4A Tx (used) 2 HS-55s (brand new) 1 ICS300 (used) 1 GWR 4P receiver (used) w/xtal matching Tx 1 7 cell 700mah NiCd (new) 1 7 cell 1100mah NiCd (charged 7 times) 1 7 cell 730mah NiMh (used, don't know how many times) for 80 dollars (not including shipping).

and i got the slow stick from a local model ship for 34.99... It just made more sense to spend the extra dollars to get a 4 channel Tx that way if i decide i want to try another plane i can use the tx and the servo's and maybe other parts... so i have a small investment i can still use.. (i hope i can still use them that is!)

look through

It appears

didnt have

Electricity

Sounds like a good deal, a steal if I must say. You are hell of a smart shoper. With that combo you could be looking at getting some 3D planes later on and you would have the gear for them. Good Luck Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Okay pardon my ignorance, whats a 3D plane?

Reply to
Electricity

If you thought helicopters could only hover then imagine a plane that can. Nose vertical to the sky a few feet off the ground. Its called three demensional flying....3D for short. 3D maneuvers include rapid tumbling nose over tail, toque rolls, and hovering, and about anythning else the pilot can think of thats damm crazy within the limitations of its airframe. These planes are very areobatic and require a minimum thrust-to-weight ratio of 1.5:1 on up 2:1 preffered. They can hover at 1/2 throttle and punch it to full......its like the space shulttle going up. You can also hand launch them vertical by nugging them slowly from your hand. Whats sweet about them is they are available in electric and natrually nitro ( You cant hand launch these as you know). Now heed this warning: PLEASE: They are for advanced pilots......so get some practice in there. You need to practice on some low wing models first. When you have those mastered then try a 3D model....pratice makes perfect and alot of it helps. Price wise I have seen some entry level ARF's models capable of doin 3D goin for around $125 range some more some less. Check out your local hobby shop and check out the shops on the net.

You can do all this crazzeeeenessss at your local baseball feild......... Welcome To The Electric World of Flight :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Every flight is pretty much the same...chase each other around for a while, doing wild loops, dives, turns etc to avoid being hit, maybe clip a streamer (rare) or bounce off each other sometimes. Typically we get about 2 or 3 prop strikes per flight - wing (damages wing, still flies) tail (shatters & crashes immedialely) or landing gear (sometimes breaks prop) We get a Full-On bonecrunching smash about every other flight. A few weeks back, i was chasing keith in a straight-vertical dive from 200ft or so. He pulled out just in time to take one of the 50foot lightpoles surrounding our baseball field right in the shoulder of the wing. It sheared the wing clean off to plane, turning it into a big lawn dart. THAT was pretty funny. I missed the pole by only a few feet. Yes our planes look like crap. Between the epoxy and packing tape....well they still fly rather well! Besides, you cant see any of that in the air - which is where the plane belongs. I dont recommend combat for another month or two. Build your skills first.

Also, your deal sounds decent. I have experience with most of that equipment and no problems. Be advised, the Nicads are heavy compared to Nimhs or lipos. The SS is the perfect candidate for carrying heavy weight - even better stability and wind tolerance actually - but the reduced climbing ability will be a bummer. Eventually, when you feel the urge to spend again, go to

and get some 7cell KAN

1050 packs ($17usd)

servos

you