tail heavy Slow Stick

So my Slow Stick came out a bit tail heavy. Had to move the servos, battery pack and receiver as forward as it was possible to locate them under the wing, still it was a bit too tail heavy. Guess I shouldn´t have secured the control horn retaining clips with a few drops of epoxy, but I felt the risk of having one popping up during flight wasn´t something worth risking. Fixed the CG with a 5g motorcycle balancing weight under the engine. Moving the wing back on the fuselage would have pushed the battery pack and the servos in the same direction, so I got lazy and thought a little extra weight of 5 g wouldn´t hurt.

Is this normal, I mean finding out the Slow Stick is quite a bit tail heavy when built according to the instructions? Anyway, I think I´ll leave off those decals all together. The bird looks so cute right now, don´t want to give it a military look. I´ll get the GWS Zero if I start feeling like getting a warbird! (oh how I love excuses for getting more models! =)

Cheers, Ken Finland

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

Ken, If its tail heavy (tail drops while balancing at recommended CG), then slide the wing assembly aft (places more fuse weight fwd of CG) until the plane blances. Remember that the CG is measured from the leading edge of the wing. It is not a reference point on the fuse (even though the instructions lead you to believe this). As long as the plane balances (level fuse) at the CG (on the wings) then it makes no difference (up to a point) where the wing is in relation to the fuse.

tippy

Reply to
tippy

"tippy" kirjoitti viestissä news:f3G8b.140292$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

slide the wing assembly aft (places more fuse weight fwd of

leading edge of the wing. It is not a reference point on

long as the plane balances (level fuse) at the CG (on the

relation to the fuse.

Tippy,

I already have done that, to the extent that the battery pack attachment plastic parts (the parts you push onto the aluminum stick) are pushed right up to the leading edge wing support, which also holds the landing gear. Therefore, if I would move the wing back, the battery pack would follow with it counteracting what I would be trying to do with moving the wing. I hope I remedied the situation with the 5g balance weight, but as we have quite a windy day today here in my home village, I´ll have to wait before getting a chance to try this setup out.

Just wondering if most Slow Sticks come out tail heavy. I goofed a little with the vertical stab when I first tried to fix it to the tail, thereby having to remove it again for a second try. In the process the foam in the lower parts got in pretty bad shape, so bad in fact that I had to even it a bit with some epoxy-microsphere putty. Not a lot, but a little in the mating surface against the stick, that small area it gets all its rigidity from. No doubt this is one of many reasons for the heavy tail in my Slow Stick, but given the magnitude of the off center CG problem, I was wondering if the Slow Stick, even built as it should without goofing, usually comes out a bit tail heavy? Anybody experiencing this?

Oh, by the way, the aluminum stick was also a bit out of line, tried straightening it out a bit but didn´t dare to do it all the way. Still, the main wing and the horizontal stab are parallell and the fin is 90 deg to the stab, so maybe this is not a problem.

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

Ken,

Moving the wing also places the motor and fuselage farther ahead. It only takes a little bit of this to change the CG (relative to the wing) a lot.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Ok, I admit, I´ve done it again...actually I think this must be my personal all time super duper record!

Just couldn´t resist trying the bird out, was just going to taxi a little ´cause the wind was getting stronger and it was starting to rain. So I did it, and up she went on just a little more than half throttle in just 6 feet!!! I cut the throttle, uhum...power, and in that instance there was a strong gust that just lifted the model in a blink of an eye. For a few seconds she went up with no power, then she came down and impacted the dirt in a 30 degree angle, not fast but still fast enough to have the prop spin loose and the prop shaft bent. Anybody crashed this fast before, with a SLOW STICK!? =)

Well, I got the prop shaft straightened out, not perfectly but good enough I hope. Seems the shaft can be replaced alltogether, hopefully one can get spares somewhere. Any shop selling these in England, Germany...somewhere in Europe? The prop wobbles a bit up to about 1/4 power, cant seem to get the shaft perfectly straight just bending it with a pair of pliers.

Oh well, I´d better wait for a wee bit calmer day...BORING! =)

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

Try

Nippon Dave will send it to you, and only charge $2.50 shipping.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Ken, that'll teach you not to fly electric power models! Get something noisy and oily and do some real flying.

Reply to
David Smith

"David Smith" kirjoitti viestissä news:bk4slq$oq4ra$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-205825.news.uni-berlin.de...

= O ))

Good one Dave!

Ken

P.S. Please don´t lure me into building something crazy, I might be crazy enough to do it! =)

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

You know you want to, really, something big, expensive, heavy....

DS

Reply to
David Smith

You wouldn´t be thinking of something for mixing the air with, a big flying mixer? Hey, just last evening I used one flying mixer in the kitchen, tried to make a milkshake, spilled some, got angry...voila, a flying mixer! Much cheaper than those rc-guided ones... =)

By the way, for all and everyone I´ve exchanged e-mail with these last days, I finally got these newsgroups working again having had a mysterious loss of all newsgroups. Computers, you gotta love ém.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

Ken, you want a flying food mixer, then how about the Vario Sky Fox I am trying to sell? Flies well and probably makes a great milkshake!

Reply to
David Smith

Dave,

I read about the reason you are selling your helis, unfortunately that´s the same reason why I haven´t got me a heli myself already. The second reason on my part is, that I´d rather go with an electric indoor heli if I ever get the money for one. Yes yes, I know it´s kind of stupid since they are harder to fly, but as I nowadays every now and then have access to a reasonably big indoor hall, the weather wouldn´t be such a big issue anymore. Also, I still have this urge for a Piccolo. Those flying mixers just happen to be so expensive, that whenever I have that kind of money, it goes to something more important. But one day, one day...!

Now back to the slow flyer issue: I have by now crashed my Slow Stick twice, anybody done better? =) This latest crash was during "landing", a nice gust found me and my plane just on the final flare,nose up, then nose down, and...you guessed it, the prop broke. Got new props already though, again waiting for a little less wind than what we had yesterday (the kind of wind that makes trees fall). Sometimes I think a folding prop would be nice, that way it would be out of the way when doing off-power landings in somewhat bumpy terrain...of course, I know I just need to fly more.

Ken

P.S. By the way Dave, still have that nice web site up somewhere?

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

"David Smith" kirjoitti viestissä news:bkeqh1$v483$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-205825.news.uni-berlin.de...

I´ll snoop around a bit, maybe someone in the Finnish newsgroups knows something about that one. Interesting!

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

I think Hannu Vuorinen from Printec night know about it; I met the guy developing it by chance at the Sil shop in July.

DS

Reply to
David Smith