Tightwad beginner - Slow Stick rcvr/servo size question

Just getting started in RC, and have decided to get a Slow Stick. I got a good deal on a Futaba 6XAS system with the 127DF receiver and

3003 standard size servos. Am planning on using a 2 S 1200 Lipo Etec and the stock SS motor and a Hitec 300 ESC. Should I be able to use the Futaba 127df rcvr and the 3003 servos I already have just to get started? I realize the recommended servos are the mini/micros but a standard size only adds about 1.5 oz compared to the Hitec HS-81's . The 127df receiver adds .8 oz compared to a Hitec 555. Thanks, Mike AB7RU Waverly, WA
Reply to
Mike AB7RU

On 1/15/2004 11:42 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

You really should use the micro stuff. Figure it out. By using the 127 receiver and the 3003 servos you have increased the plane's weight by about 1/4 - 1/3. You want to keep the flying weight of the plane as light as possible while still providing adequate torque for the control surfaces.

FWIW - LiPo batteries are lighter than NiMH and provide a longer run time, but they require a specialized charger. If you use a regular charger on them, beside burning them out, THERE IS AN EXTREMELY HIGH CHANCE OF THE BATTERIES LITERALLY BURNING AND/OR EXPLODING. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY CHARGER STATES THAT IT IS FOR LIPO BATTERIES.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
Brad B

Yep, no problem. I fly mine with full sized gear and 8 Kan and Hecells and it flys fine. The plane will lift a lot of weight and fly just fine. Of course, the less weight you have in radio equipment, the more lifting ability you will have and the better it will fly, but hey, if that is what you got, use it!

David

Reply to
David Morris

I think that would be an outstanding setup - if not a little overkill. The slowstick , from my brief experience - could probably carry a brick...once the wind here in 'jersey dies down, i plan on experimenting with some full soda cans, etc. This plane is a favorite of the aerial photography crowd because it carrys a camera so smoothly and easily. Keep in mind, the more weight you add, the less climb you get. Mine climbs ok with stock everything, mini servos, some structural improvements and decent-though-portly 900mah Nimh batts.

When finances allow, scope ebay or

some gws mini servos and a pico RX. Not necessary right now IMHO, but a nice second-step. Servohut had the minis on ebay for $10ea and a 4ch RX for about $25 i think. Also, the weight savings from using Lipos will make a big difference. My nimh weight 5.1 oz, your lipos are maybe 3oz. - so dont worry about the regular servos for now.

Id be happy to share other recent-newbie thoughts on her as well, just ask. Oh, read this:

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net/Newbies.html i tripped over his site while googling, and think he pretty much nails it.

G/L, mike

Reply to
MikeF

That receiver and those servos will really be too heavy for a Slow Stick. I am flying one using the GWS rx and their mini servos and wish I had gone for the micro servos. You can buy the entire flightpack for the Slowstick for about $100 including the rx, micro servos, 400mAh battery, and ESC. You will need to buy the battery and ESC for the Slow Stick anyway, so you might as well get the whole shebang. Save the 127 and 3003's for your next plane.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reply to
Brad B

i think fubar isnt wrong, but not exactly right. Sure it'll carry the weight, But if

*Given a choice* and your buying all this stuff new, i would see if you could swing a deal where you get the nice tx and a gws mini flightpack. If you could shave a few ounces without breaking the bank, well then it'll climb, loop, and turn a little better. With the light Lipo, it'd be a nice setup... Also, reducing weight would alleviate the failure of the aluminum wing joiners. One thing though, i actually think mine feels more stable - especially in the wind - with my heavier 5oz nimh 900 packs.

The obvious recommendation is: Buy the GWS flightpack on the same channel for the SS, AND a nice .40 size glow trainer for those big ol 3003's and rx

8)

BTW, the 400mah and even 600's that come with the gws flightpack are, IMO, not terribly good. Maybe i got a dud or my charger doesnt like it or something....

Reply to
MikeF

Oh, mine flies fine with mini servos. My father's just flies a bit better and longer with micros. Going by that experience I still believe the guy would be better off getting the micro flight pack especially since he is still gonna need the battery and an ESC anyway. And lighter is better. I got my Slow Stick and the mini GWS flight pack for $100 total from my LHS.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople