ESTES T-25 Centurian rocket RC glider

Anyone out there ever fly one of these with the 2 channel radio system... Looking for some insight as to how easy it was to install the radio gear and whether the glider flys well under these circumstances... Thanks

Reply to
Jet Red

Do a Google search for the Stratoblaster. The Stratoblaster was the same plane as the Centurian but in kit form instead of ARF. I got almost 200 hits from rec.models.rockets and 16 from rec.models.rc.air.

BTW, two channels is all you need for the Centurian, elevator and aileron.

Reply to
Tim

Yes, the StratoBlaster non-ARF variant anyways. I flew two examples of them many times. All you need for it is mini or micro 2 channel gear. Use a

270mAh or smaller Rx pack. Installing the gear is not difficult, but watch for slop in the pushrod cable arrangement driving the elevator. Minimize it whatever way possible.

This model does not get very high on Estes motors, about 200 feet or so on D's and maybe 300+ on E's. It is not a high performance glider as it uses an airfoil more suitable for slope flying than duration, but it is amusing to fly. You can "CHAD" stage it for more altitude, which is to say you can affix a D12-0 booster motor to the main motor (D11-P or E9-P) with a couple of wraps of masking tape for extra height. I demo'ed one at the AMA Homecoming in Muncie in 1993 that way. Of course it also costs more per flight to do that.. Some people have used Aerotech reloadable 24mm composite motors in these with good success, there are several lower thrust/longer burn E and even F class reloads that you could likely use in it if you can find some.

Mike D.

Reply to
M Dennett

Sounds good. I've got an extra pair of standard futaba S3000 servos and Rx. Would this arrangement work in the T-25?

Reply to
Jet Red

Hitec HS-81 servos and a 555 Rx would be lighter and will work with your Futaba radio. If you plan to use Estes D or E motors, you will probably want to save as much weight as possible.

I think Futaba S3101 servos are about the same as HS-81. I believe I had Futaba S133 servos in my Stratoblaster, along with a full size R127 Rx.

You can get a complete Hitec flightpack with switch, 270mAh battery, 555 Rx, crystal, and three servos from Servo City for about $120.

Tim

You might want to also check out

Pretty phenomenal prices on airborne packs.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Tim wrote:

Reply to
nedtovak

i flew the Sweet Vee, unlike the stratoblaster and astroblaster, it would actually thermal now, i had to use an Aerotech 24mm RC RMS burning E12J reloads (cool black smoke) to get it to about 400' (the SweetVee is oop but they appear here and on ROL and eBay from time to time)

I used Futaba 2ch AM rx and 3101 servos and a 250mah flight pack (for balance)

I still have a RMS and a bunch of E12 reloads... hrmmm ....

search about for the RC RMS data

Reply to
OlderThanDirt