Radio Question

Hi All, Thank you in advance. Hopefully this is an easy question. I am looking at getting a Hitec Laser 4 4-Channel FM Micro/2 HS-55 Servos Is this a decent radio? My friend gave me a Soarstar that he no longer wanted. Would this be a good plane to learn on? After I learn to fly could I use the radio mentioned above for other planes (glow powered)? If so what would I need to buy for this to work?

Thanks again for you help, Kent

Reply to
Kent

Around here Futaba and JR are considered the best for quality. Hitec is supposed to be ok, but just not quite as reliable.

The radio you are looking at would be ok for use in glow powered planes. If you stuck with the smaller ones you would just need to add a couple more servos and rechargable battery pack for the receiver. If you went with a larger glow plane you would need to get larger servos, although you could use a micro servo for the throttle. Many people end up buying extra flight packs or entire systems so they can keep multiple planes flying.

If you think you might go the multiple flight pack route, you should consider starting with a package which includes a computer transmitter. One of the advantages these offer is the ability to store the trim values for multiple planes. If funds are limimted and you are unsure whether you will like this hobby, it's also ok to go with a basic 4 channel for the first system and then upgrade to a better transmitter later.

Reply to
C G

I don't know about the plane, but Hitec makes a very good radio. The transmitter and receiver can be used in virtually any plane. The mirco servos are good for gliders, park flyers, and electrics. For larger, faster glow-engined planes, you should probbaly buy "standard" servos. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

| > Thank you in advance. Hopefully this is an easy question. I am | > looking at getting a Hitec Laser 4 4-Channel FM Micro/2 HS-55 | > Servos Is this a decent radio?

Yes. What receiver does it come with? The Feather is crap, through it'll probably be adequate for the Soarstar as long as you don't fly with other people. If you have problems with glitching when flying with other people, the Feather is probably to blame.

| My friend gave me a Soarstar that he no longer wanted. Would this be | > a good plane to learn on?

Yes, that would be a excellent plane -- slow, light, self-correcting, resistant to damage, easy to repair. Just make sure the wind is less than 10 mph when you fly it (and even 10 mph may be pushing it.)

| > After I learn to fly could I use the radio mentioned above for | > other planes (glow powered)? If so what would I need to buy for | > this to work?

New receiver probably. Standard servos (unless it's a tiny glow plane, like an .049), new receiver battery pack.

| Around here Futaba and JR are considered the best for quality. Hitec is | supposed to be ok, but just not quite as reliable.

Around here, we know that Futaba, JR, Airtonics and Hitec all generally put out very good quality equipment. The Hitec Feather is an exception, but it's meant to be cheap and even it's ok as long as you don't fly with any interference (read: other fliers) and don't need more than 500 ft of range.

Reply to
Doug McLaren