Receiver Question

Hi all. I just received my first transmitter today, a Futaba 9CAP Super. It came with a R149DP receiver which seems kind of overkill for my SlowStick. (Have never flown anything yet...) I am wondering, does anybody make a small receiver in 50MHz (50.82, CH01) that might be more appropriate for my slowstick? All I see offerd in the 50MHz band are 7channel and up receivers.

Thanks, Carl

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

Carl / KG6YKL explained :

Hopefully , the successors to your first plane will utilize your radio equipment as well. not all the chanels will go unused then.

Reply to
Lawrence Oravetz

Carl-

Check out the Berg Rx's, now mfg'd by Castle Creations. Start at this link:

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Karl: JR makes a quite small receiver on six meters...however, it will not work with your Futaba transmitter. The JR and Futaba used a different FM shift. You have to have a JR transmitter to match the JR receiver, of course. Frank Schwartz W4KFK

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

No receivers there and Castle Creations only has a reference to "available soon" but doesn't list the future offerings...

Carl

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

Reply to
Clive Matthews

I am about to blaspheme a bit, so make sure the kids are out of the room.

When faced with a similar situation, I simply buy a 72 MHz Tx module and then reap the benefits of all of those wonderful micro receivers on 4 meters. 8^>

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I believe that on 6 meters JR & Futaba use the same frequency shift, thus their receivers are compatible. I'd call and check before buying, however.

FMA mentions this on their site

at the listing for their

1/2oz. Quantum receivers on 50mHz. I have a couple of these rcvrs and like them fine

-Dave K4WZA

Reply to
Dave Plumpe

I have been flying for 20 plus years and been a ham for 50. Dont know why you would not use what you bought. Less chance for inteference. People near here complain of getting 'hit' on 6 meters. IMHO. Jim W1HRM

Reply to
jim breeyear

| Hi all. I just received my first transmitter today, a Futaba 9CAP | Super. It came with a R149DP receiver which seems kind of overkill | for my SlowStick. (Have never flown anything yet...) I am | wondering, does anybody make a small receiver in 50MHz (50.82, CH01) | that might be more appropriate for my slowstick? All I see offerd | in the 50MHz band are 7channel and up receivers.

Didn't you already ask this question, and get several good answers?

It's still there on google --

In that thread, my suggestion was to just try the receiver you have for now. It's still a good suggestion. It's not ideal, but your plane can handle a little extra weight, and it'll save you about $80.

The suggestion made to get a 72 mHz module for your 9C and a more `common' small 72 mHz receiver is a good one as well. A module is about $50, or $100 if you get a synthesized one, and it'll save you as much as $50 on your receiver (if you get a GWS 4P for $28 from radicalrc.com -- which isn't the best, but it's sutiable for a Slow Stick.)

Don't worry about unused channels -- the real concern is additional weight. But it's only about 0.8 ounces different ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

BLASPHEME!!! Ed is a HERETIC.

;-)

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

A GWS at $16.80 will work fine.

A GWS at $16.80 would be great. Didn't see one there on 50MHz though (CH01, 50.820MHz. I only went nuts on the radio because I didn't want to have to upgrade later. Probably went a bit to over-the-top still but, oh well.

Carl

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

| Try here |

| A GWS at $16.80 will work fine. There are Berg's as well if you wish to pay | more (and judging by your first radio, you might). I have no connection with | this company other than as a very satisfied customer.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer any 50 mHz equipment (though they certainly seem to cover the non-US bands well.) And don't forget to add a crystal for about $7. Still, good prices.

As far as I know, there are no mini/micro ham band receivers available for under $89. The cheapest I'm aware of are :

FMA M5 for $89.95 at FMA. Add $12.95 for a crystal. $89 at radicalrc.com. Includes crystal.

FMA Quantum 6 or 8 for $89.95 at FMA. Add $12.95 for crystal

Berg 6dsp GIII for $79.99 at RC Direct. Add $9.99 for a crystal.

Sombra Labs Shadow 1 receiver (does 50, 72, 75 mHz all in the same unit. Synthesized.) List price was about $89 with the programmer, but I don't think it's available any more, but might be again in the future.

In fact, those are the only micro receivers that I'm aware of that are available on the 50 mHz band at all. Are there _any_ others?

JR and Futaba both make 50 mHz band receivers, but none of it seems to be smaller than one ounce. Hitec, I don't think they make any. Anybody else?

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Okay Doug, you caught me. Part of my confusion was that I didn't get the receiver that I ordered with it. I had ordered a R148DF but they shipped a R149DP I guess that I'm not complaining but didn't know if that difference changed the equation any. I guess that I shouldn't expect that to have changed recommendations from the previous thread.

Hanging a 9 channel receiver, and 2000MAH LiPo battery pack...it's awefully crowded on my slow stick.

Even building something simple like the slow stick is quite a learning process. I just need to hang the battery, receiver, and ESC and then I'm ready to tackle the radio and setup.

Carl

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

In article , Carl / KG6YKL wrote: | Okay Doug, you caught me. Part of my confusion was that I didn't get | the receiver that I ordered with it. I had ordered a R148DF but they | shipped a R149DP I guess that I'm not complaining but didn't know if | that difference changed the equation any.

Ahh, I missed that change. It adds about 0.1 to 0.2 ounces to the equation, but doesn't really change the final result.

The R149DP is a better receiver (PCM even) but it's overkill. It'll work though ...

| I guess that I shouldn't expect that to have changed recommendations | from the previous thread.

Not really.

Still, the best answer I think you've gotten is to just get a 72 mHz module (either fixed frequency or synthesized) and a cheap 72 mHz receiver. Save the 50 mHz stuff for your next, larger plane.

| Hanging a 9 channel receiver, and 2000MAH LiPo battery pack...it's | awefully crowded on my slow stick.

Even a small micro receiver won't help *that* much. The main benefit is the reduced weight.

| Even building something simple like the slow stick is quite a learning | process. I just need to hang the battery, receiver, and ESC and then | I'm ready to tackle the radio and setup.

That's the easy part! :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

As to compatibility of JR and Futaba on 6 meters...they are NOT compatible. Different shifts. I know, because I have a JR on 00 and a Futaba on 00 and they will not cross over. I used to fly on 53.4 and did so for years. Got hit so bad that I had to abandon that frequency and go down to 00. Checked with monitors and Spectrum analyzers and there was nothing on 53.400...but still, every time I went up my plane went crazy. It was not the plane as I had a number of radios on

53.4...mostly JR and a few old AM Ace Silver Seven units and all got hit. I have no explanation..we are in a fairly remote area. There is an aircraft beacon nearby on 75 mhz exactly...and I find a weak signal on 52 mhz...still no reason for having to abandon the 53.4 channel. JR was very nice and converted my stuff from 53.4 to 50.800 (channel 0)..all this is a mystery to me...I have been flying R/C since the early fifties (yes, I am a senior citizen!) and never had problems on 6 meters before now.... any thoughts..if so, kindly email direct at snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net.... Thanks Frank Schwartz W4KFK in Hendersonville, TN
Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Frank Schwartz wrote: ...)..all this is a mystery to me...I have been flying R/C since the

Frank - if you find out the source please post to the list! Tnx es 73 - LeeH, NB7F

Reply to
LeeH

| As to compatibility of JR and Futaba on 6 meters...they are NOT | compatible. Different shifts. I know, because I have a JR on 00 and a | Futaba on 00 and they will not cross over.

I don't think anybody in this thread has said that they're compatible. But maybe I missed a post ...

(Or maybe you're thinking since I mentioned JR in the post that you're following to, that I was saying they were compatible? I was not saying that, though I do believe it to be true ...)

However, FMA seems to think they they should be --

From

-- SPECIAL NOTE CONCERNING HAM BAND TRANSMITTERS: All current transmitters use positive shift modulation. When you order for current transmitters, your invoice will list the purchased item as 805FM50FJ or 805FM53FJ. This receiver will work with all recently manufactured transmitters. If you have an ACE transmitter or an old Futaba (prior to around 1990), you will require an ACE version. Your invoice will list the 805FM50ACE or 805FM53ACE. Please be advised, it is unclear when Futaba changed from negative to positive shift modulation. Unfortunately, unless you have access to test equipment, you may not know if your old Futaba requires negative or positive shift.

perhaps the 50 mHz Futaba equipment you tried was 15+ years old, or one was FM and the other AM, or one was PCM? As far as I know, what FMA is saying here is correct, though I don't have any JR ham band receivers to check out.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

> A GWS at $16.80 will work fine.

Reply to