GWS Naro 6-channel Receiver Problems

I'm having a problem with the subject receiver and I wanted to hear some opinions. I'm using the above receiver with my JR radio and on a parkflyer. First of all the servos (all GWS brand) jitter when I turn on the Radio with the antenna collapsed & the radio next to the plane. This goes away when I extend the antenna. However, when I start flying I get sporadic servo jitters and this has happened when the plane has been as far as 50 feet away at two different fields. Is this a common problem or is my receiver bad? For whatever difference this may make, I have used my JR radio with full size JR brand FM and PCM receivers and I have never had any problems. Thanks in advance, Matt

Reply to
ahdofu

I have two different electrics I fly with GWS Receivers, one 4-channel Pico and 1 6-channel Naro. The Pico flies with GWS Pico servos while the Naro flies with Hitec HS-55s. I fly both with my Futaba 7C transmitter and I've never suffered from radio interference with either setup. I fly both indoors and outdoors with both planes.

Is it possible that you have a negative shift GWS receiver and that's why it's not working well with your positive shift JR transmitter? GWS does make two different versions of each receiver - one for JR/Airtronic and one for Futaba/Hitec. If that isn't the problem, you probably just have a bad receiver.

I haven't heard too many folks praise GWS receivers, but my experiences over many months of flying have all been good.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

No what I have is the JR version. Otherwise I do not think the receiver would have worked at all.

Reply to
ahdofu

I forgot to ask a question. With your radio on but antenna down, do you get any interference in the receiver?

Reply to
ahdofu

I had a similar problem which narrowed down to a loose fit of the crystal pins in the crystal holder. I solved it by soldering the crystal in place. Range is good for as far away as I fly the fomie.

Reply to
Tom Minger

What ESC are you using, how many servo's and what battery are you using.

Dad was having a similar problem due to using a 3s (11.1v) lipo and 4 (micro) servos and he would get jitters after 20ft, all due to exceeding the servo count for his ESC/Battery voltage combo.

Either get a better ESC or a seperate UBEC.

Cheers. Gerrit.

Reply to
Gerrit

Sounds quite simple, dodgy receiver.

Reply to
chris-s

| Is it possible that you have a negative shift GWS receiver and | that's why it's not working well with your positive shift JR | transmitter?

Unlikely. If that were the case, it wouldn't work at all.

| If that isn't the problem, you probably just have a bad receiver.

Could be. Could also be that the fields in question just have too much RF noise and they'll need a better quality receiver. | I haven't heard too many folks praise GWS receivers

They're very inexpensive. They're small. They're better than the Hitec Feather.

That's praise, sort of :)

But there's some bad things too --

They are not good at rejecting interference. They have very limited range (which was probably done deliberately in order to reduce the amount of interfence they pick up.)

| > First of all the servos (all GWS brand)

The servos or their brands are unlikely to be a factor.

| > jitter when I turn on the Radio with the antenna collapsed & the | > radio next to the plane. This goes away when I extend the | > antenna. However, when I start flying I get sporadic servo jitters | > and this has happened when the plane has been as far as 50 feet | > away at two different fields. Is this a common problem or is my | > receiver bad?

The cheap single-conversion receivers don't reject interference well. There are good single conversion receivers, like those by JR and Berg, but the GWS receivers do not fit into this category.

It could be that your RX is defective, or it could be that it's picking up some noise from somewhere and so you'd need a better RX. It's also possible that the noise is so strong and so close that even a better RX won't fix the problem, but that's not really likely.

| > For whatever difference this may make, I have used my JR radio | > with full size JR brand FM and PCM receivers and I have never had | > any problems.

PCM RX's should never glitch under any conditions. You still lose control under the same conditions, but when you do, the servos either stay still or go to the failsafe position. But they should not glitch.

Of course, this also means that a range test with a PCM RX where you're looking for glitches is useless. Instead, you need to look for the servos moving to failsafe positions, or make sure they keep moving (if you can have somebody wiggle the sticks for you, or you can wiggle the sticks as you walk with the TX away from the plane.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Are you saying two pilots can fly at the same field on the same channel so long as one is flying JR/Airtronic and the other is flying Futaba/Hitec?

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I do not get any jitters while I'm next to my planes with the antenna collapsed. My radio system exhibits no interference with either of my GWS receivers.

I am using a 10A Brushed ESC by Green Models with the two HS55 servos on my Colorful Butterfly. It came with a 650ma 8-cell NiCad pack. I am using an Electrifly C-12 Brushed ESC with the three GWS Pico servos on my Thunder Tiger Christen Eagle EP Profile. I use 3S 640ma Electrify LiPo packs with the TT Christen Eagle.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

| Are you saying two pilots can fly at the same field on the same channel so | long as one is flying JR/Airtronic and the other is flying Futaba/Hitec?

No. I'm saying that using a negative shift TX with a positive shift RX or vice versa generally doesn't work at all -- either the servos just sit there unmoving, or glitch like mad. It usually won't manifest as working only at short range, or just glitching a little bit -- it's typically an all or nothing thing.

Two pilots can't use the same channel in the same place, not even if they have different shifts, or AM vs FM, or PPM vs PCM, and not even with the new fangled DSP receivers that `lock' onto your signal and will only respond to your TX.

(In that last case, it may not respond to the other TX, but unless it can pick up your TX's signal, it's not going to work properly.)

Spread spectrum, take us away!

| > Unlikely. If that were the case, it wouldn't work at all.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Thanks for everyone that has responded. I'm using the said receiver with four GWS servos and a Hacker X20 ESC and a Hacker A20-20L motor. I will play with the crystall to see whether that is the culprit.

Matt

Reply to
ahdofu

Thanks for the clarification, Doug. I've never seen what happens when you try using a negative shift receiver with a positive shift transmitter or visa versa. I was curious what the effect would actually be. ahdofu's original discription sounded like it might be attributable to such a mismatch, but you seem confident such a mismatch would result in more severe symptoms.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I had a similar problem that turned out to be my motor (different receiver, though). I put new capacitors on it, but that didn't help. Replacing it solved the problem. The motor had been crashed once.

My 4 channel GWS receiver will glitch with the Tx off, but is fine with the Tx on.

Reply to
gad

Make sure the ESC is well away from the receiver at least.

They generate a fair amount of noise on their own...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher