Hitec Focus 6 receiver question

Just picked up a 2nd hand Focus 6 FM (tx only) (Australian model-36Mhz).
Seller quoted condition as "good but servo's jittered if transmitter left in
sun". As I'm considering using it for indoor, I didn't really care. Added
new Antenna, new battery, new 'dual conversion' crystal and tried with old
existing dual conversion receiver (same freq dual conversion crystal). No
joy. Transmitter shows full power, but no indication receiver is hearing it.
Receiver is not faulty as it works perfectly with my Hitec Master 7 radio.
Crystals not faulty as also tested with Master 7.
Is my problem in trying to use a dual conversion receiver and/or dual
conversion crystals with this radio?
Should I buy a single conversion receiver and matching crystals?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Gerrit Bakhuis
As long as you're matching dual conversion crystal and rx, it should work. Any possibility the rx shift is different from the old to the new? I'm not familiar with the master, but I'm assuming everything else is matched. Is the Master also FM?
Good Luck, PCPhill
Reply to
PCPhill
Master 7 is also 36Mhz FM.
Reply to
Gerrit Bakhuis
The full power indication is battery power only and has nothing to do with transmitted power. Your best bet is to send it off to a shop specializing in transmitter tuning.
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Gerrit, I don't understand the bit about fitting a dual conversion xtal to your xmitter. Dual conversion is a term that applies only to recievers - fitting a dual conversion xtal into a xmitter would ensure that transmits on a frequency other than the one expected.
I suggest you try it with an ordinary xtal of the frequency of one of your known-to-be-working rceivers, and see how it goes.
David - who doesn't know much about planes, but a bit about radios
Gerrit Bakhuis wrote:
Reply to
quietguy
It sounds like you're trying to put a dual conversion crystal into the transmitter, which makes no sense - there's no such thing as dual conversion in transimtters. What you need in the transmitter is a Hitec TX crystal that matches whatever RX frequency you're using on the receiver.
Russ.
Reply to
Russ
Er, let me restate that.... (serious sleep deprivation.)
Make sure the new transmitter has the shift selected to match the RX. Most Hitecs are have selectable shift and it may not match your RX.
PCPhill
----- Original Message ----- From: "PCPhill" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 10:36 PM Subject: Re: Hitec Focus 6 receiver question
Reply to
PCPhill
Move to Futaba....
Mike Reiman The Reiman Corporation, CEO 2505 South Ocean Boulevard Palm Beach, Florida 33480
Reply to
The Reiman Corporation
Put the old crystal back in and try it on the original freq and see if it works. If it works with the old set up then the problem is the new crystal which I suspect belongs in the rx. If it is a dual conversion, its oscillating freq will be different from that of the normal tx crystal to allow the dual conversion. As stated, there is no such thing as a dual conversion transmitter crystal. The old Focus doesn't allow a transmitter "shift" as it is not programmable but as all HiTec's use the same shift, it is a non issue. I have an older Focus 6 as well. It works just fine. The servo jitter when exposed to the sun sounds like an overheating problem in the tx.
Hope this helps
Jim W
Reply to
Black Cloud
The crystals are a new hitec branded set (specifically labelled "Dual Conversion F.M"), with the stickers on the crystals stating "CH624;36.240 RF" and "CH624;36.240 TF", so I assume the RF is dual conversion and the TF is standard?
I made sure I put the RF in the receiver and the TF in the transmitter (duh!).
Reply to
GeeBee
Ok, then sounds good. One last thought (well 2 actually) I presume you have checked with Hitec to make sure the receiver IS a double conversion RX?
The other thought is that you really need to find out where the problem is - the Xmittr or the RX.
There must be someone at your club that flys on the same frequency - you can check your RX with their Xmitter, and your Xmitter wiht their RX. At least then you will know which is faulty.
Good luck
David
GeeBee wrote:
Reply to
quietguy
Can confirm receiver works with another Hitec Transmitter (Master 7) (tested with 2 separate sets of crystals - same 2 sets used with this transmitter, so I can only assume that Focus 6 is faulty. Will send off for repair.
"CH624;36.240
Reply to
GeeBee