Small Reciever

What's good small lightweight reciever for a park flier. I tried the hitec feather, but I got interference from the motor eventhough I tried several different things trying to eliminate the noise. I don't really need the distance of dual conversion, but I heard that single conversion gear is more succeptible to interference. I like and have had good success with the hitec 555 but I'm looking for something physically smaller and lighter.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I thought Hitec had a new dual conversion lightweiight RX. My friend at the LHS said folks were having good luck with it.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Try this deal:

I use it in a Zagi and don't have any range or interference, and I ride it a good ways up. The range is at least 1000ft, but I suspect more. I have it mounted in the canopy, right behind the battery pack, which leaves it less than 2 inches from the motor, and maybe half an inch from the ESC. It doesn't get much worse than that. I've got a second one in my Sig Jenny now. On a second note, what have you done to try removing the interference? I've used the feather in my pylon ship and never had any problems with it, and I believe it has a good reputation. Might want to find the source of your problem, since I doubt the r4p will solve it alone.

You might want to try a look at the electron 6 from hitec if you think a dual conversion will solve it.

John Alt

Try one of the Berg receivers. Very light and very bulletprooof!

Moe

Reply to
Moe Blues

Its not SC or DC that makes the difference with motor interference - its the quality of your installation and the quality of the radio itself in other senses.

Hitec feathers have fairly bad press. The BERG recievers are well thought of.

The most likley causes of interference are motor without capacitors (assumeding brushed motor) and most importantly, motor wires too long and or ESC too near the receiver or antenna..the closer I get my ESC's to teh motors, and teh further away the receiver is from the whole shebang, the better things work for me.

If reliable fuel supply is one of those things you have to get right for successful IC flight, interference is the analog in electrics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've had very good luck with the M5 from FMA. Its dual conversion and very solid. It weighs just 8 gr.

Radical R/C has a very good price on it, $55. including crystal.

-Fritz

Reply to
Fritz Bien

| On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:24:56 -0400, "Normen Strobel" | wrote: | | >What's good small lightweight reciever for a park flier. I tried the hitec | >feather, but I got interference from the motor eventhough I tried several | >different things trying to eliminate the noise.

The feather is crap. And it's not even cheap crap -- it costs as much as many dual conversion radios, even though it's single conversion itself.

The GWS 4P is another single conversion radio, costs about half as much as a feather, but doesn't glitch anywhere near as much. I wouldn't use it in a glow plane, but it's ok for a small park flier.

| > I don't really need the | >distance of dual conversion, but I heard that single conversion gear is more | >succeptible to interference. I like and have had good success with the | >hitec 555 but I'm looking for something physically smaller and lighter. | | I've had very good luck with the M5 from FMA. Its dual conversion and | very solid. It weighs just 8 gr. |

| | Radical R/C has a very good price on it, $55. including crystal. |
Bingo. The FMA M5 is an *excellent* radio and the price is approximately the same as the Feather if you get it from Radical R/C.

I've been buying M5's for all my planes (even the glow ones) lately. Unless I need 6 or more channels, of course -- in which case I swap a M5 with another plane that has a 7 channel receiver and doesn't need it :)

Only one downside -- your standard `turn off your transmitter plane finder' will not work with it, because the servos never see that the transmitter is off. The Hobbico Air Alert *does* work -- not only will it go off if it doesn't see the transmitter signal (the M5 provides the signal even when the transmitter is off), but it will go off if that channel is idle for a few minutes.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The FMA M-5 works like a champ, is dual conversion 5ch. 11 grams IIRC. I have two and they work perfectly, so far.

Mike D

Reply to
M Dennett

I took a look and the Berg looks just like what I need, unfortunatley they don't make a positive shift version for my JR transmitters. So I guess I will give the FMA M5 a try.

Reply to
Normen Strobel