Re: Hobbytown misleading online web site,

| Just want to vent about hobbytown's web site . I place a order for some | parts total cost about $56.00 with tax and shipping .

Why? Hobbytown is expensive compared to other places!

If they're the local hobby store, fine, buy from them. But if you're going to order stuff and pay shipping, you might as well go with a cheaper place like Tower Hobbies. And as an added bonus, if they're out of state, you usually don't pay tax at all.

| The web site leads you to believe that your order will be filled and | shipped from a Hobbytown close to you .

I'd never ordered anything from their `online store', but when I went there I had to pick a specific store. Did you do that, and yet the order was shipped from another store?

| Now I know it wasn't a lot of money but is it just me or should Hobbytown | not try to make you think the local store is boxing and shipping your | order. Also the charge showed up on my credit card on saturday morning .

Hobbytown is a franchise. Most stores are owned by different people. You'll never know who you're dealing with unless you go down to the store yourself -- then you're often dealing with the owner himself, though prices seem to be set at the franchise headquarters rather than locally.

| Kind of just rubbed me the wrong way and when i place the order for my new | plane and radio it wont be from Hobbytown .

Good. You'll find cheaper prices too. | Now who do folks think stand out in the online world?

Tower Hobbies stands out above everybody.

They've got the largest selection of anybody, good to great prices and great (for the most part) customer service.

But, depending on what I want, I find myself also buying from

(batteries, receivers),
(servos),
planes),
(electric planes and equipment),
(zagis, duh!), and
(glow, electric planes.) I can't think of anybody else ...

The local hobby store is a HobbyTown, and they're nice people, but when they want $40 for a HS-81MG servo, and I can get it mail order for $23 (with no tax and no shipping,) guess what I do? This is an extreme (but accurate) example, but their prices are in general a lot higher than Tower and others. So I only buy little things, or things I need right now from them.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Were you exaggerating with the $40 price for an 81MG? The reason why I ask is because my local hobby town has them for around $27. I was wondering if different stores set different prices.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Why? Hobbytown is one of the most expensive places around. If you have to order online, as others have noted, there are many other, cheaper places. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Aloha,

Living in Hawaii I fully understand the missdirected system of online ordering ... and soon enough people will be pissed-off that the fed's will listen to us and come down hard on the online shops that are ripping us off with lies about shipping and shipping costs 'n overcharging taxes etc ...

Too bad there isn't a more immediate way to fix crappy customer relations with online shops ...

Reply to
°|° Walt Perko °|°

The only reason i ordered from Hobbytown was because they where parts for my airstrike plane and the price was the same as all the other stores and i thought i was giving the local guy a sale with out driving to the store and a very short delivery time. I did pick a store from the list and the site made it look like i was ordering from that store.

Martin Poles

Reply to
martyp

Didn't mind paying the tax . But should they have charged me my local sale tax not that of a different county.

Martin Poles

Reply to
martyp

Ouch! Servo City sells 81mg servos for $17.95 and FREE priority shipping in the US. Definitely in my top 3 list of online retailers for RC supplies.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

You listed the price for the nylon geared version. Servo city sells the HS-81mg for $22.95. Either way Servo City definitley has the best price online. I was able to pick up a couple for $20 a piece at the Toledo Show.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

The problem I had with quantum models was you have to know excactly what you want. I went to quantum models when I was first starting out and was hoping they would sell me the right stuff. I ordered a JR Transmitter and a hitec feather pack. They sent me the feather reciever which I couldn't get to work. I after some research figured out that they sent me the receiver with the wrong shift so I had to send it back, and then after it still didn't work I realized they sent me a dual conversion crystal rather than the right one for the feather. I ended up missing 2 months of good flying season, and any money I saved by going with them was lost in shipping stuff back. I figure the best place to buy your stuff when starting out is at your local hobby shop because they can help you out and steer you in the right direction.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

OOPS! Yer right, now that you mention it. Still the best price out there.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

What on earth are you talking about? Competition is so intense these days that it's hard to find an out-of-state online shop that doesn't have flat-rate shipping and excellent customer service. Sure, there are some, but the people speak with their wallets, and the bad shops generally go away. We don't need the Feds getting involved any further. All that'll do is ensure that we'll ALWAYS have to pay the local sales tax no matter where we buy.

Shipping costs are more than just the value of the postage stamp on the package. Boxes aren't free. Tape isn't free. Styrofoam peanuts aren't free. The person's time to pack the box isn't free.

Are you complaining about the "$5 shipping for one bolt" type situations? Jeez, most of the time businesses with flat-rate shipping charges end up eating the cost of packing materials and most of the shipping. Can't you let them come out ahead once in a while?

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

ServoCity is THE place to go for Hitech gear, IMO. Their price on the HS85MG is $30.95--and there's no tax or shipping.

Their customer service is flawless, and shipping lightning fast.

Here's their page on the 85MG:

Joe Parsons (just a *very* satisfied customer)

Reply to
Joe Parsons

Yes, they do. The franchise owner can set what the local market will bear. Horizon Hobby lists Aerobird park flyers for $150 - my local store lists them for $170....and sells them !!!!

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Actually it's stated very clear when you go to the online ordering page. Reads as follows:

" Please note though, that the online shopping is completley seperate from our retail business and product selection, pricing and availability may vary. If you have special needs please contact us first and we'll help you determine which is the best route to make your purchase - online or through the retail store."

It's not in fine print either.

When you get into tax rates ,especially concerning mail order , it would take a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out all the "reciprocal agreemants" ..." business presence in the area" and many other factors determining tax rates and if tax should be charged at all.

Not being skeptical here , just my 2 cents worth.

Since the Hobbytown stores are a franchise and have local owners I'm sure the prices and quality of services from one to another will vary. We are fortunate to have two nice Hobbytowns in our area with friendly employees and great service. When a purchase is made by us RC modelers from the local clubs here in the area ,they pull out the Tower Hobbies "Tower talk" and price the mdse from that. They also give club members 10% off all the incidental items that are not lowballed through the big mail order houses. Considering they have very little competition , I think it says a lot for the stores. It's a shame they don't all do business like that.

Ken Day

Reply to
K day

It has a lot more to do with local circumstances than money-grubbing, IMHO. Should a hobby shop be "nice," selling everything for minimal/no profit and competing with Tower/Horizon if they don't do enough volume to justify it? Should they sacrifice their financial future, going broke, just to make a few people happy?

Sure, you can compete with Tower now, but when the newness of your store wears off and/or the current hobby craze dies off, you'll be raising prices just to keep the doors open.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Except for one thing Mathew. Every GOOD business man knows that raising prices will never keep the doors open and should not be used for that purpose.

Reply to
Fly Higher