hi-tec/JR/crystal

Hi, I have been away from planes for some time but thought it was time to fly again as I have a couple of nephews who have noticed my planes in the garage. I had my radio checked out by Radio South and all is good there. I did not have an extra receiver so I bought (hobby-shop recommended) a Hitec Supreme SII and a Hitec crystal on ch. 36 (matches my Tx). When I hooked up the battery to the Rec. and the throttle servo (doesn't matter as they all do the same thing), it just goes wildly one way and then the other. I turned on the Tx first and then the Rec., turned the rec. off and then on to "auto shift". I still got the same result. I set the Tx to FM PPM, aircraft etc.... My heli and a little wildthing have JR Rec. and they work just fine. Does the Hitec rec. and a JR radio need two JR crystals, or will the JR crystal and hitec crystal work together? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert Barkus

The Hitech receiver needs a Hitech dual-conversion RX crystal - which is apparently different from a Hitech single-conversion RX crystal. Is it possible the hobby shop sold you the latter instead of the former?

The JR transmitter is obviously functioning fine - don't muck with it - and particularly, don't stick a Hitech crystal of any type in it!

And, fwiw, always turn on the transmitter before the receiver...

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

| Does the Hitec rec. and a JR radio need two JR crystals, or will the JR | crystal and hitec crystal work together? Thanks, Bob

Your JR TX needs a JR TX crystal, and your dual conversion Hitec RX needs a Hitec dual conversion RX crystal. Sounds like you're good there.

Your TX should be in PPM mode. Sounds like you're good there too.

Hitec defaults to negative shift, and JR to positive shift, but your RX has auto shift, and it's enabled, so you _should_ be good there, but do check and make sure it's working.

I suggest taking the whole kit-n-kaboodle (radio gear + battery anyways) to the hobby shop and ask them. It's probably something simple and obvious. If they can't help, the local club field probably has somebody who can and is willing.

Reply to
Doug McLaren