crystal question

Sorry if I'm missing something very obvious here.

Am I wrong in my understanding that one can "simply" swap crystals in the radio and "all should work"? I recently purchased a replacement receiver (Futaba) and I'm not getting any reception with my old crystal. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shai

Reply to
Shai

Ypu can up tpo a point swap crystals in the RECEIVER to chjange channels, tho a re-tune of a couple of coils is advised if you move too far from where it was originally set up.

The same IS true of a transmitter, except you are legally discouraged from doing it.

If you don't know what you are doing, take the rig into the LHS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
A.T.

The question is, why did you buy the replacement receiver? Was the original in a crash? You may have damaged the crystal in the crash as well.

If you're replacing a crashed/failed receiver, get a new crystal too.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Shai, A few other thoughts as well..

1) did you change transmitter frequency also? or just the new receiver? If you changed transmitter frequency, your transmitter may not be "hitting" on the right channel clearly enough for your receiver to read. You can do a search here for pages upon pages of arguments about changing transmitter frequency in the US by changing crystals without retuning, but anyway, Futaba and the FCC recommend you have it retuned. 2) do the 2 receivers use the same crystal TYPE? be sure you have the right crystal type, not a short crystal for a standard crystal application, single conversion in a dual conversion receiver, etc. 3) try purchasing a new crystal and try the new receiver. Still no reception?

hope this helps!

Sincerely, AnnMarie Cross President Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc

annmarie cross

Hi AnnMarie,

Welcome back! Hope the new business is going well.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Hi AnnMarie! Maybe you could answer a question for me. I have a set of 72-7 Futaba crystals. Are these the 'short' single conversion crystals? My DC crystals all seem to be marked 72-10? Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
jeboba