Building BIG Stik QUESTION

This is for anyone who ever built a Big Stick, Ultra Stick or any of the 'Stiks'.
I'm ready to mount the engine and the plane doesn't call for any down or
right thrust. In the '70s we would always build-in a little thrust angle. What's your experience?
Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
BTW, For those who asked what radio system I was going to make as my final decision.....I picket Futaba 7CAP. Why?
The price $299.99 ($300)! The receiver crystal is included in the price. Tower Hobbies gives BIG discounts (when you spend a LOT of money). A Free gift worth $8.99, for members, and Free delivery (if ordered before 12/31/05), for a total savings over $80. Oops! I forgot to mention...no state tax.
To quote the 'RC Power Magazine'... With Futaba's popularity, flexibility and reliability wrapped into an easy-to-program package with a user-friendly manual, what more could you ask for? Well, apparently some modelers must have asked for a little less power and flexibility, and a little less price tag than that of the Futaba 9C. And Futaba has certainly delivered. Futaba's 7C isn't named 7C by coincidence; this radio is obviously the 9C's 'little brother'. A radio with nearly all the bang, for slightly less buck! The 7C is a big change from the 6XS, and we'll compare the 7C to both the 6X and the 9C, as well as JR's competitive offering the 6102, in detail. ----------un-quote.
Agree? OR Disagree? This is what I ordered today, and that is my FINAL decision! I WIN!
Back to the original question....I need your input on the thrust angle.
Earl Scherzinger

If you're assembling a Great Planes Big Stik ARF, whatever thrust it needs (if any) is built into the fuselage.
Carrell
I'll second what Carrell said. Just build the ARF as per instructions, the thrust angle will have been accounted for in the design of the firewall.
I fly a Thunder Tiger Tiger Stick .40 with my Futaba 7C, btw. I just bought the $239 combo with S3004 servos. I had a $50 gift certificate from purchasing my Nexstar, and with the additional Tower savings ($25 at the time) I only spent $164.99 for the radio. Got the free shipping to boot.
You got a great radio system, and the Big Stik is a terrific ARF. I went with the Tiger Stick instead because I didn't want the Red Baron trim scheme. Style points aside, I can guarantee you'll have fun with your Big Stik!

I "third" the other two responders. I've built 4 Big Stik 60s over a span of about 10 years - dang things keep crashing for some reason :) but I love 'em. I've also built an Ultra Stick 120 and just following the instructions for engine installation is the way to go.
I've flown them with 4-channel Futabas, 6-channel Futabas, up to my current 9C. Sounds like you got a good deal on the 7C so like you said, you win.
An additional comment I'll offer is after you get some good flying time in you may want to upgrade the aileron and rudder servos to something that's faster than the stock S3151s. It's amazing to see what a difference faster servos (like S9250s or S9252s) make in doing acrobatics.
One final comment - if you're doing the Big Stik 60, it'll handle an OS 91FX engine just fine, and what a difference performance-wise it makes over an OS 61FX (but I wouldn't recommend that initially if you're still learning to fly). Weighs about the same but has about 50% more HP (and unfortunately it'll suck the fuel tank dry quicker too).
Have fun with it.
Jim

ask
power
And
competitive
A comment first! Joe Bill signs his name as Jim?
Jim (Joe, Bill?) whoever,
I'm building the Big Stik 40 and pushing it to the limits with an O.S. FS-70 Surpass engine. I thought about the Stik 60 but it was just a few inches more wingspan, + $25 more, and called for a bigger engine.
Why did I pick the Big Stik? In the 1965-70 I flew 'Das Little Stik' with an O.S. 19 engine. It flew 173 times with NO accidents. Because it flew so well, I sold it for more than I had in it. As a result of that experience, an Ultra Stik never occurred to me. You might say I'm trying to re-live my youth.
It's been a FEW years since I flew an R/C plane, but it's like sex and riding a bicycle...You never forget how.
With a very thorough pre-flight check and balance, I believe I'll be alright with just a few simple maneuvers until I get the feel of flying again.
My second plane might be: the Venus 40 powered by who knows what (whatever is left in my wallet). The radio system will be a Futaba Flight Pack R127DF
Thanks to ALL for your comments.
Earl Scherzinger
If this is the shelf-paper covered version, I would check real close for loose or broken parts under the paper before flying. Mine had several broken and loose pieces held together by the sticky covering. I found this out after the wing failed.
--
Paul McIntosh
RC-Bearings.com