GWS Corsair problem

Well is isn't really specific to the corsair but here goes.

I have the GWS corsair built. I have a JR 6 channel radio plus the JR GWS kit for the plane installed. The ailerons, elevator & rudder work fine. The problem is the motor will not go. I am using a Li Pol battery and haven't charged it yet. But is has enough juice to do the servos.

Could it be I need to charge it to run the motor? I was just hoping to test stuff out a little. Now I am faced with a bad motor, bad receiver, bad speed controller or an under charged battery and don't know which one it is.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Hi Greg, I'm not really an electric guy but it is my understanding and a little experience that the battery must be charged to get the motor to run with most ESC's. The electronic speed controller (ESC) has a cut-off voltage that shuts the motor down when the battery pack is getting low and allows you to dead stick (glide) the model in. It does this to keep the motor from running the battery down to the point where the radio no longer works. The one electric that I did get some experience with was a GWS and it worked that way. Hope this helps, also be sure to charge your batterys fully before use as this conditions the pack to accept a full charge. Regards Tom Wales

Reply to
Tom Wales

Pop over to the newbie or power forum at

Obviously something is not right.

You have to test each bit separately.

You can test the motor by briefly conecting it up to a dry cell or something. It should spin up (disconnect from ESC first).

Your receiver is fine. So too probably is the pack. Its either a mis wiring (likley) a bad ESC (less likley) or a bad motor (wuite UNlikley)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you allowed the ESC to go through its arming sequence?

If it is a GWS ESC, then make sure your throttle stick is at idle when you put power to the receiver. You might need to reverse the throttle channel. The ESC may be reading the throttle as zero with the throttle stick down and negative values as you raise the stick.

Reply to
mike tully

Reply to
w4jle

BTW watch how much you discharge the LiPoly battery while checking out controls uncharged.. you don't want to run the battery voltage down too low.

You might want to plug in a spare, charged NiCAD if you have one for setup and to check out the speed controller, before coming to any ominous conclusions.

Reply to
M Dennett

Thanks to everyone that replied. The problem was I needed to charge the battery. I am amazed that it wants to taxi in my kitchen at the lowest setting that will turn on the motor. Seems to have lots of power!

Reply to
Greg Cisko