Re: The Aerobird Xtreme doesn't look half bad ...

> I went out to Zilker park here in Austin to go fly a bit during lunch,

> > and some people from the local hobby shop had an Aerobird Xtreme out > > there that they were flying
> > > I was actually impressed with how well the plane flew. From what I've > > seen in the past, all of the planes shaped like this (Firebird, > > Aerobird, etc.) that come as an all-in-one package generally fly like > > ass, with the later 3 channel versions being better than the older 2 > > channel versions, but this new one flew extremely well. > > > > The AeroBird Challenger (ABC), the Extreme's older (but littler) brother, is an > able craft and has plenty of juice even with its standard 6-cell NiMH packs. I > get about 12-15 minutes of throttle time out of mine, and it soars like a champ > when I get it way up there and it has a chance to hunt for those updrafts. The > third channel is what really makes this plane. I can't imagin having to rely on > two channels, with throttle for altitude control. My brother had a Firebird and > while it got him hooked into RC aircraft, he would never buy one again. > > > It had plenty of power, and plenty of control authority. And the wing > > is re-enforced with carbon fiber, so it shouldn't fold like the older > > ones do. > > You can acheive the same effect with strapping tape, which is the first thing I > do with new ABC wings. But it's good to see HobbyZone incorporating new ideas > and updates into their newer designs. > > > > > The guy was doing loops, rolls and generally having a good time. > > Compare to the original Firebirds, where they would just fly around in > > a big fat circle. > > Friggin' amazing what an elevator can do! But truthfully, you can outgrow the > ABC quite easily. You can't get the thing to fly inverted, and any tricks that > would require use of ailerons are of course impossible. The one thing they are > great for is having a compact, truly ready-to-go plane in a nice box that will > fit in the cab of your pickup truck. Great for lunchtime outings. > > > > > Of course, at $190, they're starting to get in the price range of the > > more serious planes, but even so ... > > The ABC is $150.00 with an extra battery pack at hobby warehouse. > > > > > I probably won't go out and buy one, but I must admit that the `entry > > level toys' are getting a lot better. > > > > Hey, it worked for me! But I'm currently in the process of putting together a > Sig Rascal. That's my next toy. > > James

Did you get a chance to try the combat or drop module out???? I had the Comander but never got a chance to try out those 2 goodies. Sold it and moved on to a 3ch balsa Kyosho Spree. I kinda miss the old firebird :-( ..Anyway good luck on that Rascal, thats a sharp looking plane. I am consedering buying one but I also like the E-Flite Ascent.

Good Luck Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Firebird Outlaw and Firebird Commander.....2 planes I must give credit for for teaching me to fly. I will agree that the 2 ch Firebirds turn like a 18 wheeler, but they make a good entry level plane. I learned alot from them and going from 2ch to 3ch was a piece of cake. Hey Doug, I need some help.....Mothers Day is coming up, do you think I should buy my understanding wife: A) A vanity for herself B) A Mothers Day ring or C) A E-Flite Ascent with two spare batteries ??? :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

| Hey Doug, I need some help.....Mothers Day is coming up, do you | think I should buy my understanding wife: A) A vanity for herself B) | A Mothers Day ring or C) A E-Flite Ascent with two spare batteries | ??? :-)

Well, if she's anything like my wife, C) would mean that she'd leave you, and so you'd get the whole place to yourself. Assuming that's not what you want, hit the local thrift shops and look for A) and B). If you get all of the above (the thrift store angle may make that possible), she may not overreact quite so badly when you get `her' C).

My wife collects old singer sewing machines. So far, I've got more planes than she has sewing machines, but I don't have her beat by much. :)

(Of course, I try to take all my planes down to the field (not at once!) to fly once in a while. If only all her sewing machines were so lucky ...)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Mine collects Longaberger Baskets .....some cost more then my planes. I love her............. :-)

Reply to
Mike R.