long 1/4" hex shank screwdriver bit sets

Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like these;
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like these (they suck);
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible slipping.
Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex "chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to with manual screwdrivers.
On 2/2/2014 10:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I just use short bits with my 6" or 12" extension. Do you have a clearance problem?
If you do end up cutting off long screwdrivers, mill flats on the shafts to keep them from spinning in the chuck.
David
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:01:42 PM UTC-5, David R. Birch wrote:

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-PHILLIPS-2-SCREW-DRIVER-BITS-MAGNETIC-TIPS-ROUND-SHAFT-PH2-/300599470604?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 12:07:19 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"
Flash photography does that sometimes. I see nothing wrong with them.

That's a great price. Want to split a set? (Though extra shipping would add up...) I'm at zip 97526.
--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

I've bought those, from that vendor 9blattsbargains) and they weren't rusty. I bought both #0, #00 sizes from them.
     http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599464119 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599461124 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #00 SCREW DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT      http://www.ebay.com/itm/221082606320 10 ENKAY 6" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW DRIVER BITS 3120 MAGNETIC T...
I'd rather have ten of a size and not use them all, than not be able to find a single one. All I could find around here were #2, and ten were cheaper on Ebay than three were from a flea market dealer. No one had #0 or #00 locally.
I am currently waiting for some drill bits I bought from them a few days ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301077608034 50 DEWALT INDUSTRIAL HSS DRILL BITS 5/64" USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191048198176 24 NEIKO TOOL USA TITANIUM INDUSTRIAL DRILL BITS 1/8"
Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine assorted hex drive drivers.
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 22:45:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

What takes a #0 or 00 driver? I picked up the precision screwdriver set from HF and it has served me well. I just wish the driver shaft extension release worked better. It's hex and extends about 3", but is hard to retract. http://tinyurl.com/24nj2us

Watch Harbor Freight ads. Packs of ten can go for $0.99-1.49 on sale, with no shipping. I also order 10-pks from Enco for pretty cheap.

Great deal, if you can use 30 nut drivers. I guess you could resell sets of nutdrivers and recoup your outlay pretty easily. I'm doing that with some jewelry. I bought components and made some bookmarks necklaces, and bracelets for Mom, my sister, and my niece. I ordered extra large quantities and am assembling and selling necklaces.
I prefer to use 2" screwdriver bits in my Makita impactor. 1% of the time, I need the 3-1/2" or 6" size.
--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
Larry Jaques wrote:

0 & 00 are common in modern, miniature electronics. I have several digital cameras to see about modifying for a project, and they are full of 00 screws.

If you factor in the savings from combined shipping, they were a decent deal. The 1/8" drills are double ended, so that's 48 total. I've bought multiple packs of drills from HF, but the sizes I needed are rarely in stock when they have a sale.

I'll keep about half of them, and give the others to family & friends. They do wear out, on old hardware.

I need 6" quite often, and at times I have to braze a bit to a piece of 1'4" drill rod to reach even deeper into equipment to remove screws.
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:15:38 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I bought some double-ended 1/8" drill bits for sheetmetal work, but most of the time, I need longer bits. Yeah, HF sells out quickly when the good sales hit. Ya gotta be quick!

I think I've worn out 2 nut drivers in my life so far. One split and the other rounded from using it on metric screws. <hangs head in shame from being too cheap to buy wunna them metrical doodads>

I still have a 28" long (+ handle) blade screwdriver from Matco stuck on the holster on my rolling toolbox. 12" is the longest phillips, but I've used my 36" 3/8" drive extension to make a longer one when I didn't want to get too close to the screw. It's fun using things like that around other people. They give you the strangest looks... <g>
--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought them to take out rivets. HF is far enough away that it's not worth the drive for cheap things, by themselves.

I've worn enough of the out that I keep spares. They still work, but are too sloppy to hold a screw any angle other than straight up. The cost to run around to find a tool when it's needed is much higher than buying a few spares. Like when I bought 100 #2 phillips screwdrivers for $25. I still have almost half of them after giving away, losing and having them stolen from me. The cost to stop a job and go buy one would be as much as I spent and if it happens too often your customers begin to wonder if you know what you're doing.

Of course you blame it on your tools... :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:00:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Here, either. Medford is the closest store, about 27 miles away.
Speaking of cheap things, I had a 5/16-18 bolt shear on me while installing a gate this morning. Cheaparse chiwanese butterbolts from Homey's Despot, damnit. I thought it was bottoming out and tightening when it just went away, leaving a 1/8" nub sticking out. I sawed that off after the cheap HF drill bit snapped during the drillout. <sigh> (Is it Monday?) I went back and got zinc coated instead of galv, then tried them in my 5/16NC die for good measure. All were fine and all held the second time around. What a PITA! I was mounting the expanding gate on a 3/16 thick rectangular metal tube on a sides of a ground-level freight "dock" for a paint store.

We surely don't want them catching on, do we? <g>

Doesn't everyone? ;)
--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Over 10, for me. The time and cost of gasoline limits most visits to when I have to be in that area, or an expensive item is on sale for more than enough to offset the costs. Like a new table saw for half price. :)

It's about time you did something right. ;-)

Too many non productive hours will bankrupt you. :(

No, but most people do.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 08:05:25 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"
VERY good question. I found a 6" square drive and 6" #2 phillips bit at Homey's Despot a couple years ago. They're also available at Lee Valley up in Canuckistan. I order only when they have free shipping (twice a year) any more. We used to enjoy a money valuation difference of about 30% with Canada, but it's reversed now. <sigh> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2282&cat=1,43411,43417
Note to self: I should order half a dozen the next time I see the sale on. They're well-made bits.

I have no problem with those at all. Why do you? Oh, one exception. When I need a small bit to disassemble an electronics box made of plastic, the hex is too large to fit. Bit extensions don't work for the same reason. I need a smaller-diametered round shaft instead. Luckily, almost every phillips screw out there is #2. The smaller- sized boxes with smaller heads are the few exceptions.
I occasionally use a 1/4" hex-square drive adapter and 1/4" extensions with 1/4" socket and hex bits when needed, too. It's especially handy with the 18" MAC extension I bought a few decades ago. A small rare-earth magnet inside the socket keeps the bit from falling out.

I hear ya. In that case, put it in the mill and mill 3 flats so it can be chucked properly.

Yeah, that's a pisser, isn't it? I need longer shafts to get into small places the power driver won't fit into, and extensions add that much more play and I lose tips in inaccessible places if I try.
--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

I agree with this. I still do everything by hand buy have a cordless impact driver which I will use with an extension and a hex bit, but it's clumsy due to the spinning hex shaft and the coupler. There's no nice way to steady and point (because of all the slop) a spinning hex bit or extension shaft.
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:39:01 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I finally ordered this set off Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pc-Neiko-Super-Long-Phillips-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-12-/360713442647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc325557
And am about to order the 6" equivalents as single items from McMasterCarr today.

I was at Menards in Chicago and they had 6" hex drivers in blister packs with the round shafts. It wasn't complete sets, but you could grab packs of #2 and flat drivers if you wanted. It was $5 or $6 per pack, and they seemed to be taiwanese-ish looking.
Menards really makes home depot look stupid in every possible way. The giant home depot not far from the menards was actually out of 90 degree 1" PVC elbows of all things, they also don't carry or don't know where they sell plastic razor blades for safely scraping stuff. The only birdfeeders HD had in stock were for hummingbirds, which you don't really see around these parts in the winter. Of course, menards had a complete selection of everything I wanted.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

It looks like their nearest store is 800 miles from me so I doubt that I'll ever shop at any of their stores.
http://www.menards.com/main/storeLocator.html
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

    I've gotten blister packs of assorted long-shank hex drive screwdriver bits -- straight, Phillips, Torx, Robertson, Allen and even security versions of some of the above -- at stores which sell electronic parts and tools. And they have handled a *lot* of use and abuse.
    The one I used was local, and not part of a chain, so naming it will not be much help to you unless you are in the Washington DC/Northern VA area. But the same sort should be found elsewhere. I'll bet that you can find Jensen Tools on the web, and they will likely have them -- but probably a bit more expensive than you expect.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Barring a disaster, I shouldn't have to buy many more tools before I die. :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.