Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

Most youtube videos about making a blacksmith anvil from a piece of rail (railroad, crane, trolley car, etc.) don't show how to make the hardy hole, so I made a video on that subject. Note: In the filing sequences it sounds as though the file is just skating, but it is really cutting quite well. It's the microphone in the video camera, I guess, that makes it sound that way.

It's at:

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

Excellent video! Very informative and great production.

Re: metalworking. You had to resharpen drill bits a lot. Would carbide tipped bits work? You also had to do a lot of filing. I use a carbide rasp bit in my die grinder that might be good for roughing. E.g.:

(that one is very expensive - I got mine years ago on eBay as a lot of

10 for about $1 each).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I bet if he had used flood coolant, far less resharpening would have been required.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Yes, excellent video, thanks for sharing Pete!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Joe Gwinn fired this volley in news:020220141609245562% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Or just taken pecks no more than a drill diameter before re-lubing. I saw him cut more than an inch in dry metal more than twice. I also saw him pause in the drilling (just one or two times), which kills the hell out of bits and work-hardens the surface.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh