Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

Most youtube videos about making a blacksmith anvil from a piece of rail (railroad, crane, trolley car, etc.) don't show how to make the
hardy hole, so I made a video on that subject. Note: In the filing sequences it sounds as though the file is just skating, but it is really cutting quite well. It's the microphone in the video camera, I guess, that makes it sound that way.
It's at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?vZNUFc9_ki0

Pete Stanaitis ---------------
Excellent video! Very informative and great production.
Re: metalworking. You had to resharpen drill bits a lot. Would carbide tipped bits work? You also had to do a lot of filing. I use a carbide rasp bit in my die grinder that might be good for roughing. E.g.: www.ebay.com/itm/370998282545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5661388931 (that one is very expensive - I got mine years ago on eBay as a lot of 10 for about $1 each).
Bob

I bet if he had used flood coolant, far less resharpening would have been required.
Joe Gwinn

Or just taken pecks no more than a drill diameter before re-lubing. I saw him cut more than an inch in dry metal more than twice. I also saw him pause in the drilling (just one or two times), which kills the hell out of bits and work-hardens the surface.
Lloyd
On 2/2/14, 7:49 AM, Pete S wrote:

Yes, excellent video, thanks for sharing Pete!
Erik