at-home sand blaster

Hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm doing a lot of metal work, and some mig welding too, on a veh. restoration. Some metal needs to be sand or bead blasted to remove surface rust. I have a lot of land and can safely use a sandblasting unit and I've seen some advertised for sale and some on eBay. For a one-time deal like this are the "hobby" models worth the investment? Just wondering if they work well enough for a small project like I have? TIA for any insight.

Vic Redlands, CA.

Reply to
a6016

Big problem with sandblasters is that they take a LOT of air. This one from

listed for 6 cfm to 25 cfm. Your average "5hp" Sears unit just won't cut it. You need REAL air!

You also want to get a presurized unit like

than the siphon feed ones like this
I have an older siphon feed unit similar to the second one, it works but it would take forever to get any serious rust off!

A lot of guys use dried 'play sand' which is silica sand. The result> Hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm doing a lot of

Reply to
RoyJ

I have been using this one from Sears

It does use a ton of air, I started to use two compressors, and it still have a lot of sit down and wait time. It does work ok if you are not in a hurry. I would not recommend it unless it is for real light work.

Reply to
Rusted

My dad has one of the Harbor Freight sandblasters....maybe a 80 or 100 pounder? Pretty big canister. Works great. We've used it for trailer frame repair, wheel cleaning you name it.

Reply to
James Arnold

That pressurized unit looks like the one my dad has..works well with a 5hp unit.

Reply to
James Arnold