Fancy wire rope ends?

I was rather surprised to see some rather nice looking wire rope terminators at Harbor Freight this weekend, like so:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber599 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber892 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber900
And, at less than $10 each, it's quite the bargain for stainless. But does anyone else make these sorts of things at such reaonable prices? I know Sta-Lok makes them for architectural and marine use, but they're seriously pricey. Same goes for the ones McMaster carries. I'd really like to find something fairly close to the same price range so I know where to source such things affordably other than just Harbor Freight, but I haven't had any luck after a decent bout of web searching. Any suggestions for retailers?
Try http://www.awdirect.com / Tow truck supplier.
I don't kniow what the tensile rating is of the chuck joint, but I bet it's nowhere near that of a properly swaged coupling. JR Dweller in the cellar
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 02:58:08 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses -------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability: -------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:48:48 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR

2,680 pounds weight capacity. I wonder if you're supposed to divide that by the 4mm opening, which would cut it to 422 lbs. Still, that'd hold a couple large guys standing on one strand of the railing wire.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
quickly quoth:

Actually, no. When applying force perpendicular to a tight wire, the force multiplies by a large factor. In a pinch, you can winch a vehicle out of a tight spot by tightly tying a rope between the vehicle and a tree and applying force perpendicular to the middle of the rope. Needless to say you have to take up the slack between each push on the rope.
Ivan Vegvary
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:48:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan

I don't grok that, Ivan. A pull on the middle of the rope would be equal on all 3 ends, wouldn't it? Even if it were a nice round pulley, it would not give you any force increase. The individual snatch blocks (pulley with a hook) we used on the tow trucks (at Flynn's Frame and Collision eons ago) would only give us the -same- pull the winch had, but it would be at a different angle, better for that particular extraction. Multiple pulleys (forming a block and tackle) would multiply the force.
If you still disagree, please cite the formula/law for us.
For S&G, I asked the question to the guys at Feeney, the Cable Rail people. I'll post their answer if/when I get one.
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

No.
Try an experiment, you will need two pulleys.

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:29:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

"Try an experiment, you will need a block and tackle."
NOT the same as he was talking about, Ig.
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

No, you need caulk and jars and GPS units.

Quick, i need a 7/8 end wrench, 3 pop rivets, a comic book, and an avocado.

Fix two pulleys and hang a rope on them like this:
,___________x_________. |O O| | | X X
Attach heavy weights to points X. zThe rope on top will be almost straight, the lighter the rope, the straighter. Then hang a much lighter weight on point x. You will see the rope sag in the middle.
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:03:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Again, that's not what he was describing, Ig.
x-------------y-----------x Pull on Y, no pulleys.
Q: Who here on RCM has 3 spring scales with which they can perform this experiment?
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

It is the same experiment.

Larry, I would expect that only 2 spring scales would be required, as one end of the rope can be tied to a fixed point.
One scale should work, eh, if the weight of the hanging load is known (definite maybe).
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:01:03 -0700, Larry Jaques

Yikes! I hadn't been following this thread. Something will give. Dad used this technique in 1949 or so to unstick some early tracked combines cutting rice. He'd tie on with 100 ft. of 1" cable, take the steel wheeled poppin' johnny out and spin it down at the end, then get in the middle with another tractor and pull sideways. He later realized that he could have been killed had something let go.
It's just trig. At 0 deg deflection, the load on the ends is infinite. At 1 deg,you've moved sideways 1.7%, and decreased the length by 0.015%, so mechanical advantage is already down to 114:1. At 0.1 deg, the mechanical advantage was 1145, and at 0.01 deg, 11,459 and so on. I used sin/(1-cos).
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:05:15 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Pete

Ah, those are the figures I was looking for. Man, those Cable Rail style wires take a beating, don't they?
I trode across a suspension footbridge (The Swinging Bridge over the Illinois River in Kerby, OR) yesterday and admired the engineering. 12x12" uprights about 20' tall and 1" galv steel wire ropes supporting about an 80' span. I wonder how far they had to sink the terminations to support that structure. I found a pic already online: http://www.cavejunction.com/cavejunction/cj-pics.shtml click on "Swinging Bridge - donated by Poodlenuts"
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
<snip>

Oh, sink the terminations? You mean, like, in concrete? Oh. We were supposed to do that?...
-- Ed Huntress
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:31:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

I believe that it would have "fall down, go boom" long before now if they hadn't done that, Ed.
I found a nice secluded "beach" and took a dip in the nice, refreshing (70F or better) river yesterday. It was great. I need to get out and do more hiking before it gets cold and wet to do so this year. It give me and my Nikon more exercise. ;)
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

'Beats hanging around here. If my freaking eyes were better (my sixth laser eye surgery is tomorrow -- I may or may not be able to see the screen until Saturday), if the tendonitis in my right Achilles heel wasn't keeping me from walking (literally), and if a few other things weren't barking and screaming at me, I'd be on the beach surf casting for bluefish, myself.
However, being temporarily blind (five times in the past two months) is very interesting. You really can think clearly without the distraction of seeing things. I had hope for Michael in that regard but it seems to have had the opposite effect on him.
Are there any fish in that river? If so, why are you wasting your time splashing around in it?
-- Ed Huntress
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:39:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

SIXTH? What hack are you going to, sir? Are you flying to Tijuana, B.C. for the $49.99 specials, or what?
My BIL got his done on Base and the surgeon accidentally tore the flap off during his RK procedure. It's no big deal, except it increases the pain level about six hundred percent. I hope to never, -ever- hear a doctor say "Oops!" during my visit to him.

I finally figured out that the patellar tendinitis in my right knee was only a food allergy. Whenever I eat corn and hot sauce at the same time, my knee gives me all sorts of grief. Neither one by itself affects me nearly as much. I had already discovered my allergy to the Nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, chiles, peppers, and eggplant) and have been a much happier man in the past 17 years. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of people's illnesses is due to food allergies and urge you to go see a WooWoo Doctor (as my BIL called them, aka a kinesiologist) or Naturopath, for testing. An old girlfriend's mother was studying to become a Naturopath and tested me for free, finding my nightshade plant allergies. I have half again more energy now with those foods out of my body, and my arthritis pain level is markedly decreased. I'm just now getting over my allergy to potatoes. Ahhh--Potato chips again! (in moderation)
When I eat hot sauce, and I still love Mexican food, I notice all sorts of muscle aches. I think it releases lactic acid in my muscles, as if I'd overexerted myself (think a day of horseback riding after 20 years of not doing so, then remember what your inner thigh muscles felt like afterwards.) Not a pretty picture.
Tomatoes give my entire body an acid condition and I feel 40 years older than I am in my joints and muscles. That was the largest problem in my allergies.
Potatoes used to give me horrible aches in the intestines as they were processed.
If any of this sounds familiar, try getting tested for food allergies by the WooWoos. I gare-on-TEE that you'll not regret having done so.

It's hell gettin' old, ain't it?

MT? Yeah, I plonked him long ago for is recto-cranial inversion problem. John joined him yesterday. Life's too short to suffer fools.

Nothing much. Just salmon and steelhead at various times of the year. I haven't been much of a fisherman since I turned teen, though.