Fancy wire rope ends?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:04:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mark Dunning" quickly quoth:

What's the math/law/formula, Mark?

Interesting. Now, after all this, I forgot the OP's intent.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Quick, i need a 7/8 end wrench, 3 pop rivets, a comic book, and an avocado.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

| >> I don't grok that, Ivan. A pull on the middle of the rope would be | >> equal on all 3 ends, wouldn't it? | >

| >No, this is not a simple straight line mechanics problem of pulleys | >acting as levers, it's a vector addition problem. When you pull the | >rope out of line at the center, the component of tension perpendicular | >at each end of the main rope has to be very high to match the small | >component needed to offset the sideways pull, and this approaches | >infinity the tighter the main rope gets. | | What's the math/law/formula, Mark? |

The Resultant Force(Fr) produced along a straight line perpendicular to the pull force(Fa) would equal to the Force Applied(Fa) X Cotangeant of the Angle(A) between the straight line and the pulled rope angle. [Fr = Fa(Cot A)] The resulting tension(Ft) on the rope would be equal to Fa/Sin A. [Ft =Fa/SinA]

It is Applied Trigonometry in Mechanics.

Reply to
P D Fritz

It is the same experiment.

Reply to
Ignoramus24166

That's how I pulled the shrubbery stumps out of the flower bed this spring, a choker around the stump with a cable across the lawn to a come-along anchore to a good size maple tree. A couple timber blocks under the cable near the stump to re-direct the pull upward then apply tension and jump on the mid point of the cable. took about an hour to get the two stumps (one Yew, one Spruce) out. Next door neighbour was impressed! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Larry, I would expect that only 2 spring scales would be required, as one end of the rope can be tied to a fixed point.

One scale should work, eh, if the weight of the hanging load is known (definite maybe).

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Yikes! I hadn't been following this thread. Something will give. Dad used this technique in 1949 or so to unstick some early tracked combines cutting rice. He'd tie on with 100 ft. of 1" cable, take the steel wheeled poppin' johnny out and spin it down at the end, then get in the middle with another tractor and pull sideways. He later realized that he could have been killed had something let go.

It's just trig. At 0 deg deflection, the load on the ends is infinite. At 1 deg,you've moved sideways 1.7%, and decreased the length by 0.015%, so mechanical advantage is already down to 114:1. At

0.1 deg, the mechanical advantage was 1145, and at 0.01 deg, 11,459 and so on. I used sin/(1-cos).
Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:03:13 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

Thanks to P.D. and Gerry for those. I'll definitely apply them in the years to come.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:05:15 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Pete Keillor quickly quoth:

Ah, those are the figures I was looking for. Man, those Cable Rail style wires take a beating, don't they?

I trode across a suspension footbridge (The Swinging Bridge over the Illinois River in Kerby, OR) yesterday and admired the engineering.

12x12" uprights about 20' tall and 1" galv steel wire ropes supporting about an 80' span. I wonder how far they had to sink the terminations to support that structure. I found a pic already online:
click on "Swinging Bridge - donated by Poodlenuts"
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, sink the terminations? You mean, like, in concrete? Oh. We were supposed to do that?...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And something's gotta give! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:31:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

I believe that it would have "fall down, go boom" long before now if they hadn't done that, Ed.

I found a nice secluded "beach" and took a dip in the nice, refreshing (70F or better) river yesterday. It was great. I need to get out and do more hiking before it gets cold and wet to do so this year. It give me and my Nikon more exercise. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

'Beats hanging around here. If my freaking eyes were better (my sixth laser eye surgery is tomorrow -- I may or may not be able to see the screen until Saturday), if the tendonitis in my right Achilles heel wasn't keeping me from walking (literally), and if a few other things weren't barking and screaming at me, I'd be on the beach surf casting for bluefish, myself.

However, being temporarily blind (five times in the past two months) is very interesting. You really can think clearly without the distraction of seeing things. I had hope for Michael in that regard but it seems to have had the opposite effect on him.

Are there any fish in that river? If so, why are you wasting your time splashing around in it?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:39:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

SIXTH? What hack are you going to, sir? Are you flying to Tijuana, B.C. for the $49.99 specials, or what?

My BIL got his done on Base and the surgeon accidentally tore the flap off during his RK procedure. It's no big deal, except it increases the pain level about six hundred percent. I hope to never, -ever- hear a doctor say "Oops!" during my visit to him.

I finally figured out that the patellar tendinitis in my right knee was only a food allergy. Whenever I eat corn and hot sauce at the same time, my knee gives me all sorts of grief. Neither one by itself affects me nearly as much. I had already discovered my allergy to the Nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, chiles, peppers, and eggplant) and have been a much happier man in the past 17 years. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of people's illnesses is due to food allergies and urge you to go see a WooWoo Doctor (as my BIL called them, aka a kinesiologist) or Naturopath, for testing. An old girlfriend's mother was studying to become a Naturopath and tested me for free, finding my nightshade plant allergies. I have half again more energy now with those foods out of my body, and my arthritis pain level is markedly decreased. I'm just now getting over my allergy to potatoes. Ahhh--Potato chips again! (in moderation)

When I eat hot sauce, and I still love Mexican food, I notice all sorts of muscle aches. I think it releases lactic acid in my muscles, as if I'd overexerted myself (think a day of horseback riding after 20 years of not doing so, then remember what your inner thigh muscles felt like afterwards.) Not a pretty picture.

Tomatoes give my entire body an acid condition and I feel 40 years older than I am in my joints and muscles. That was the largest problem in my allergies.

Potatoes used to give me horrible aches in the intestines as they were processed.

If any of this sounds familiar, try getting tested for food allergies by the WooWoos. I gare-on-TEE that you'll not regret having done so.

It's hell gettin' old, ain't it?

MT? Yeah, I plonked him long ago for is recto-cranial inversion problem. John joined him yesterday. Life's too short to suffer fools.

Nothing much. Just salmon and steelhead at various times of the year. I haven't been much of a fisherman since I turned teen, though.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's a series of procedures to deal with Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. Bad shit. They have to do it a small bit at a time so your retinas don't peel off your eyeballs and leave you blind. Another of my doc's patients, a

23-year-old kid, just lost 100% of his vision because of it. I've been a lot luckier, and I'm thankful for the advanced laser-diode technique they use now. So far they've burned out over 3,000 spots on my retinas, and I can still see. They cauterize blood vessels in your eyes with the laser. I am one lucky dood.

Today should be the last. If I keep being lucky, I won't have any trouble with it again.

I've been joking with my doc about that. "What happens if the laser is on and you sneeze?," I asked him. I picture my brain being sliced in half as he says "oops"...

Holy cow. What have I been eating lately? A lot of barbecued chicken and corn on the cob. Big salads, Jersey tomatoes and summer squash up the yin-yang. Some marinated London broil. Lots of fish. Hmmm...that's my usual summertime stuff.

This is a weird one, because my orthopedic surgeon, an excellent sports medicine guy, says it's an overuse injury. But I haven't been overusing it. He's scratching his head. He wants me to wear this thing that looks like a big, black ski boot. It's really stylish with shorts, and when you walk in it you sound like one of the creatures that come out of the dark in Halloween movies. 'Scares the hell out of little kids...

Anyway, it seems to be improving. For a couple of months I could hardly leave the house. Now I can walk for about a mile without it flaring up. When it hits four miles, I'll be satisfied.

Those are some of my favorite things.

'Glad to hear it. I'd just open my veins and be done with it if I couldn't eat fresh tomatoes.

Very interesting.

OK, but what's a WooWoo?

As they say, it beats the alternative.

Watch out, there will be no one left but the people who want to know what grade of rod to use for welding up trailers out of recycled bed frames, and whether a Chinese drill press is stiff enough for milling diesel engine blocks.

"Just" salmon and steelhead? And you spash around in that sacred water? Heathen!!

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Look here, go down to the table "Bridles"

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

IF YOU CAN READ THIS...

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:04:47 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Damn. Sux 2 B U right now, huh? Well, if you went blind, it wouldn't be so bad. You wouldn't have to see the crap they're broadcasting on the telebishun. Well, are you sure it wasn't caused by all that strokin' you did as a kid? Your mother _told_ you you'd go blind if you kept that up.

Holy Shit, Maynard! That's gotta hurt. Is it panretinal photocoagulation therapy you're receiving?

I hope you sailed through it, Ed.

Tell him to set it on STUN. That'll make it safer.

Allergies usually come on after you eat one food for too long. The "usual summertime stuff" is highly suspect.

And they look real comfy, don't they?

Goodonya, mate.

They were mine, too.

Tell the laser doc to plug it into the 240v outlet. He'll slice and dice ya up nice.

See 3 paragraphs above, ya skip-reader. (shameful!)

True.

Yeah, only the metaldorkers, huh?

I thought you might like that one.

Hey, if the fish can shit in it, I can pee in it. It says right here in the fine print.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yup. Yesterday was just a sort of clean-up, maybe 200 burns, and I got off easy. My vision started to come back in just a couple of hours. That was a refreshing change from the earlier ones.

And I didn't believe her...

Jeez. Yes. You are a serious student.

As for the pain, it's not so bad, except when the laser hits a nerve. Then I jump and the restraints keep me from driving my head through the machine. d8-)

It looks good so far. I didn't even lose any peripheral vision. They'll just up my eyeglass prescription a bit and reading should be fine...for a while, at least.

Hey, don't mock the afflicted.

.

There seems to be a growing number of metal maulers. I miss Jim Rosen.

Salmon and steelhead don't shit in the river. They're too genteel. They wait until they're in your creel.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:07:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Most excellent, sir.

But, of course.

It hurts just to hear you tell it, Ed. Kinda like the dentist who says "This will pinch a little" as he rams the needle in, doesn't wait for the novocaine to take effect, and cuts a slit inside your gum instead of pulling the needle out and changing directions. I mentioned this to my current dentist and he shuddered, noting that he had seen this done in school and cringed every time, knowing the damage these jerks were doing to their patients. He's not one of the slashers, thank goodness.

Wunnerful.

Here's what I think of your afflicted drivel:

Ditto, and I'm glad to see 'Arry back.

What's a creel?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's something you don't have to worry about because it sounds like you'll never catch a fish. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress