Windows Installer-based Service Pack Policy

SolidWorks Corporation's response to the need for improving the speed of service pack installations (by replacing SP2.1 with a "new" SP2.1) is appreciated; however, I have the following observations and questions:

  1. Wouldn't it be in the best interest of SolidWorks Corporation and the 300,000+ user community for users to have been immediately and directly notified(via e-mail broadcast) instead of haing us rely upon chance visits to the support site and discussion groups or other "word of mouth" propogation?

  1. The less the prior 2.1 service pack is used, the more valuable time will be saved! It seems as though policy is to inform only on an as needed basis. It's apparently similar to an automaker looking to avoid issuing a formal recall but fixing customer's cars as they exhibit problems, while the other owners slowly learn about the "silent" recall.

  2. How can users tell the difference between the old and new versions of the SP2.1 files? As far as I can see, the file sizes, times and dates (contained in the self-extracting executables) are the same in both cases. Wouldn't it have been better for SolidWorks to issue an SP2.2? Perhaps it's assumed that most users have yet to download SP2.1 and, as a result, will obtain the newer, faster version, but the existing old copies of SP2.1 may be unknowingly propogated for use on many more seats than need be.

  1. Can't the Windows Installer patches be made "intelligent" enough to verify (before upgrading time is wasted) whether the pre-existing installation of SolidWorks can in fact be patched? I, for one, made the mistake of repeatedly attempting to upgrade a downloaded version of SP2.0 to SP2.1 to no avail - the process would complete, but my installation remained at SP2.0. A dialog box prompt to inform one that the current installation must first be uninstalled would be of great benefit! Uninstall/reinstall is, of course, what I ended up having to do...

  2. The "logging" capability of the Windows Installer should be OFF by default for speed reasons, as has been discovered and explained, but should be available as a toggled option for those users who may need or want to employ it.

  1. I haven't tried the "new" SP2.1, but hope that the improvements is speed are easily noticed.

  2. SolidWorks has stated that in the long term, the Windows installer is and will be a good thing for all. I have to wonder what is actually meant by"good".

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Per,

Good points.

Also, it would be good if they put checkboxes for "save rollback data" (yes-no). If you select "yes" it should ask you where you want to store it. Where I work, the only person that will ever need this capability is me. I test everything before releasing it. Even so, I will probably choose to use other methods (the WI just "feels" messy).

Right now this data is stored on the "C" drive. This is very bad for us as we partition our machines with small system partitions for maintenance purposes. My workstation has about 600mb of rollback data on the "C" drive. The size just gets bigger with every SP, and there is nothing you can do about it.

It would also be helpfull if the installer would tell you "exactly" which installation it's upgrading. As it is, you launch it, and pray.

The issue of running multiple WI installer versions is still up in the air. Hacking the registry is "NOT" an acceptable solution.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

This is a tough one. Customers are notorious for not giving SolidWorks proper email addresses. The VAR would probably be better suited in giving out the emails, but then you have the problem with customers getting confused. Very confused. And VARs not caring.

Maybe SolidWorks can incorporate some 'push' technology to send info (via internet) to your desktop when SolidWorks launches?

Yea, I've already got burned by this.

Yes, SolidWorks needs to swallow it's pride and quit trying to hide it's mistakes (I say mistake because after so many months of WI being out, they should know better).

Isn't this the point of WI? It's supposed to have soooooooo many advantages. Too bad it has MORE DISADVANTAGES that far outwiegh (IMO) the advantages.

Same here. Did you have 2.0 Eval Version installed? If so, isn't SolidWorks supposed to change the rev if something changed in the official release?

Is SolidWorks trying to sneak more changes in without us knowing? If the answer is yes, then we have reason to be very concerned.

Agreed

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

That's an excellent idea!! Why push? Why not pull. (and use two places after the decimal to alleviate the recent debacle) Instead of the current "Help - Service Packs", why not enhance that click to go out, query a datafield on the website and present the actual latest service pack, both for the version you have installed and the latest shipping version. In other words, if I'm currently running SW2003 SP5.0, and I click "HELP - LATEST SP" I am presented with the following info...

- - - - You are currently running: SW2003 SP5.00, latest SP is SP5.10 The latest shipping version: SW2004 SP2.10

- - - -

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Eddy,

Rhino has just such a feature. It requires a click and then and checks to see if there is a sp newer than what you are running. Too easy.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Knutson

Our CAM Package has a WI intall for a full install and also offers a Zip Install for upgrades on version like 5 to 5.1 installation. Why cannot SW do this also. The Zip Install is quick and to the point.

Reply to
Rocko

OT

Is there a way to find out about available "silent" recalls from the Automakers. I too knew that they existed but never wanted to take a vehicle in to a dealer for fear that I will be charged the damn $40 or more diagnosis fee for something that I knew needed to be fixed.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I don't understand SW already has this feature. Help>Service Packs... you can have it automatically check once a week.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Opps, my bad - been there all along I guess.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Knutson

It's not the same. It's says there's a newer server pack. It can save a little time if it goes further per the above tag-teamed suggestions.

Case in point, on this computer I haven't updated since SW2003 SP5.0 and when I do a Help - Service Packs... Check... it proudly tells me there are no newer service packs. Doh!!

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Yeah you are right Mine still is saying 5.0 is available eventhough 5.1 is the latest.

Reply to
Corey Scheich