windows installer cleanup utility

Since there has been a lot of complaining about the windows installer I thought I would mention that windows produces a utility that can be downloaded from the windows knowledge base that will clean up installations that were performed using windows installer. I really have no idea if this utility does any good or bad but I thought a few of you here would like to give it a try and report back with any findings. If any of you do try it please let me know what exactely it does and what it should be used for. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 238413 or do a search for windows installer cleanup utility

Reply to
TEXAN

kellnerp

I just used it on XP (test system) to remove SW2004 SP2. It worked like a charm. Something got corrupted and add/remove would not honor the install so therefore, it wouldn't uninstall or reinstall. Using the utility it wiped SW'04 SP2 clean off. I could then delete the directories manually. I'm now reinstalling SW'04 SP0 from scratch, so far without incident. Just what I wanted. Then it's off to play with SP2.1 wahoo! Man are my hopes up for 2.1!!

According to my little test the utility does just what it says.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

After nagging here in forum I started to search such utility with google, and found it, tested it, and it really works! I could remove all old traces of installed BAD copys of SW (plus some other apps)

other way to do this, is to disable the protect system files option from XP/2ooo and then manually delete bad entries from c:\WINNT\installer

Reply to
Arto Kvick

I used it a while back on Windoze 2000 because every time I booted I had the installer trying to install something it could not find. Well this utility did remove it. The only problem is our MS Office applications where installed using WI by corporate. As use probably figured I lost all them too. SO BE VERY CAREFUL before using it. You may find yourself reinstalling more than just SolidWorks.

Reply to
SWuser

What about: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 290301 ???

Reply to
Jacob Filek

Please share link, I'm not even sure what terms to search for. Thanks.

Reply to
pope

Oh.... here it is:

For XP that is.