What's up with SP1.0 for SW2005?

What's up is this, there was a bug with Windows Installer that would cause problems for some users on WI 3.0. MSoft and SW are working to resolve this issue.

Reply to
P.

WI 3.0, "windows 3.0", thought that was old Microsoft software, just before windows for workgroups 3.1, lol :-P

Reply to
pete

WI 3.0 is the new Windows Installer used with XP SP2.0. It doesn't allow more the 2 patches to an application. If you patched to 0.1 and then to 1.0EV, Windows XP SP2.0 would not allow you to add any more patches.

Dave H

pete wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Boy, I'm sure glad they got rid of the traditional installer. The added benefits associated with using a Microsoft installer has been a major product enhancement. My level of confidence in the Solidworks management and code writing teams grows almost daily.

.
Reply to
Michael

You forgot to put "NOT" at the end.

Reply to
Sporkman

where did you find that info Dave? this is what really f**** me off about SW - lousy communication with customers : ( they make things 10x worse for themselves by sitting on things until they stink...

Reply to
neil

Those sentiments were shared with the appropriate people at SWW which is where the information came from.

Reply to
P.

So what is going to come out first, SP01 or SW2006? Isn't SW2006 due out in a few months?

$1300.00 subscription service and what are we gitting for it? Not even a book anymore.

I use to be one of the guy's who loved digging into all the new stuff and using it right when it came out. I've been burned so bad in the last two releases with bug's and waiting for service packs, that it may all be over for me now. It's cost me time and money. I may just have to stop upgrading so I can get work done. Maybe just stick to upgrading every few years instead.

As a independent, I need to think more serious about where my money is going.

Reply to
McBurger

John Mc is lucky I wasn't there to punt his ring....I can't believe a guy who has a masters in bus. admin. and marketing can be so bloody ignorant of PR... yet it happens again and again.... so after a while snippets leak out...and obviously there will be no official statement...what does this say...SW holds users in contempt? the CEO is an ostrich? no one knows what they are doing? SW feel free to give subs customers only what they choose for their money? REALLY BAD LOOK John no way am I going to hand over subs for 06, what an obnoxious farce!

Reply to
neil

AND John Mc you owe me 2 FREE sp that you haven't delivered on from my last subs!

Reply to
neil

You're right it truly is BS. A little communication would have gone a long way. According to the release candidate email the hot fix is ready for this and if you run into the issue it will direct you on how to download the hotfix. Why not put a link directly on the SolidWorks website so that we can just avoid the problem and install the hotfix right away? What's wrong with being pro-active? If anyone has that link or beats me to finding it please post the link to fix...

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

Just installed SP1.0RC after running SP1.0EV for about a month. SolidWorks sent an email to me regarding the upgrade to RC(as I've been running the EV). It included the following:-

"Critical Alert for Windows XP sp2 users

Windows XP sp2 included a new version of Windows Installer, WI version

3.0. This version of WI has a bug that prevents SolidWorks being patched more than twice or performing a Rollback operation or performing an uninstall.

If you are running SolidWorks on Windows XP sp2 and have applied both SolidWorks sp 0.1 and SolidWorks sp 1.0 Early Visibility patches then applying the sp1 full patch will fail. SolidWorks has worked closely with Microsoft to develop a hot fix for this problem. Instructions for obtaining this hot fix from Microsoft will be shown in the error dialog if the installation of this sp1 patch fails.

We thank you for you participation in the EV program and your continued support of SolidWorks."

Note I had originally installed all service packs sequentially SP0.0 SP0.1 SP1.0EV SP1.0RC I had no problem with the above mentioned Critical issue, possibly because I had my fingers crossed. :P

P.S.

The crash to desktop bug, in relation to subpart movement, when using a Spacemouse has been fixed. Although it's not supposed to be fixed until SP2.

John Layne

Reply to
John Layne

This info came from SolidWorks (Greg Jankowski) and was included in the SP 1.0RC available e-mail notice.

Dave H

neil wrote:

Reply to
Dave H