Frustrated with 2004

As usual, Sporky has pointed out a serious weakness in my argument. SW is a tool and when your tools don't work well, whether it's the fault of the tool or the user, tensions tend to rise. Lately I've been feeling like I'm trying to carve a statue with a hammer. Is it me or the tool?

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

bob z. is using (still!!!) swx 2003 with sp5.0 bob has had 3 or 4 CTD's with sp5.0 since it has been installed. each crash was directly attributed the stress level of good ol' bob z. at the time. isn't that weird? it's almost like saying the moon's gravitational pull caused my hard drive to crash. bob z. just finished a really hot design job and that is when the crashes occurred. none of the crashes were repeatable, but each time bob z. was just designin' away - multiple docs open (2 or 3 assys, 3 or 4 parts, 5 or 6 dwgs, etc.)

-- bob z. p.s. sittin in an angry chair...

Reply to
bob zee

you got good ol' bob z. with that quote. what's it from?

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

mr. zee, Please contact me offline.

Richard Doyle

Reply to
Richard Doyle

JJ

Reply to
JJ

No. But your mailbox is full (last known email address), and I have something to ask of you.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

uh-oh. am i in trouble?

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

i just sent you an email, but it got bounced. the email address you have of mine, i can not get into it from work. our IT guy blocks that sort of 'nonsense'. post for good ol' bob z. your email address... munge it or whatever and we can figure it out.

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

richard dot doyle at cox dash internet dot com

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Reply to
Sporkman

I too, used to upgrade quickly and constantly. Then I would fight to get work done. Did it with 2D CAD & gave it up, & quickly gave it up in 3D with Solidworks.

The one thing I admire about Steve Jobs above all else of late, is that he realized & has acted on the concept that you must have a vertically integrated hardware & software system to give the best interface and stability to an inherently complex system, if it is to be used by mere mortals. My Mac OS has remained virtually stable for

3 years, though I am now preparing to move to OSX, now that it is on its 3rd or 4th major release. Guess you could say I'm cautious, but I am very productive.

Software needs to be designed to be as bug proof as possible. It is one thing for the software to not be able to do a fillet because it can't resolve the geometry. It is another thing entirely for the software to crash when you ask it to do something. Users should not have to put up with that.

I know it is difficult to try to program perfect code, but that is what programmers need to strive to do because users really need it. It is all about productivity.

Uptime First; New Features Second.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

I remember you used to post here often, Bo. So if you gave up on SolidWorks and now work on a Mac, what design software DO you use?

Curious 'Sporky'

Bo Claws> I too, used to upgrade quickly and constantly. Then I would fight to

Reply to
Sporkman

Comparing SolidWorks to a dog is pretty a pretty interesting concept. I decided to take it to strange new levels...

SolidDog Professional (the best dog money can buy!) SolidDog Maintenance (yearly shots, tags, checkups etc.) SolidDog Training (make SolidDog sit, stay, rollover etc.)

Care and feeding of SolidDog...

*) Take SolidDog out for a walk often (defrag your hard drive)

*) Buy premium food (use Windows 2000 or XP Pro)

*) Avoid feeding SolidDog junk food (beta software, untested shareware etc.)

*) Build or purchase the super deluxe dog house (brand name RAM, MB, video, plenty of cooling when it's hot etc.)

*) Keep SolidDog's home CLEAN and organized! (erase temp folder often, update drivers)

Troubleshooting...

P) SolidDog relieved himself on my carpet! S) See "Care and Feeding" if problem persists, call your VET (VAR)

P) SolidDog doesn't have as good of a spline as PRO/PitBull S) Send in an enhancement request to improve SolidDog DNA

P) SolidDog is SLOOOOW! S) Upgrade SolidDog's living conditions, send in E/R, talk to other SolidDog owners to see if they have tricks/tips

P) Why can't SolidDog do what I tell it! S) Sign up for SolidDog advanced training, send in E/R

Heh, this thing practically writes itself!

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson

ROTFLMAO!! Very creative, Mike! 8^)

..

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

BTW,... What!? No "SolidSnacks"!? (rewards for users who report bugs)

.. ;^)

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Where's Scooby when we really need him??? Bring him out, Mike - he needs to show up in this thread somewhere. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I typed too quickly and was misinterpreted. I used "it" and that led to confusion as to what I was meaning.

I quickly gave up on upgrading quickly (no matter what OS or application), everytime a new version or service pack comes out. Just too many times now I have had problems of one sort or another, so I am now very very careful about upgrades.

My next upgrade is a new Dell M60 for SolidWorks, but I will likely install SWks 2003 first. I'ld like to see one more service pack release before I try out 2004.

I still use SolidWorks, and enjoy it for my almost entirely prismatic shaped parts.

On the Macintosh, I use a 2D CAD program called PowerCADD which is quick, clean & fast. I use it for a variety of both engineering, advertising and illustration purposes. It is particularly good for me when doing conceptual layouts of new designs where design intent can be 'flipped' in an instant for things like draft direction and parting lines, since I have no solids to worry about. SolidWorks, however, takes the bulk of the work and more and more over time.

Complaints about SolidWorks of late seem to really overstated. SolidWorks is an affordable capable solid modeler. If we want to create what come out of the likes of the auto design groups, then we get the appropriate tool for the job. For the likes of John Banquer to complain about what SolidWorks is NOT, is akin to complaining that a boat can't fly. But there are coders in SolidWorks who are adding capability to have a flying boat eventually.

Capable 3D solids CAD on the PC is not even 1 decade old yet, and look where it has come to. I am impressed.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

"For the likes of John Banquer to complain about what SolidWorks is NOT, is akin to complaining that a boat can't fly."

LOL. Come on Bo, time come back to reality. Just because you have bought into the propaganda the many CAD solid modeling companies have been preaching, doesn't mean we all have.

It's unrealistic to expect that imported non-native surface geometry can actually be edited in SolidWorks ??? This is akin to a boat being made to fly ?

It's unrealistic to expect that spline creation be robust and allow C2 surfacing.... something many people badly need. Industrial Designers come to mind. This is akin to a boat being made to fly ?

Many people don't want a limited tool that is just a solid modeler. They want a modeler that can model most real world objects. SolidWorks still can't do this.

Concepts running on Mac OS X can easily out model SolidWorks with it better thought out hybrid tools courtesy of ACIS.

$995.

BTW, Bo. It's more like Avi Tevanian and Bud Tribble have educated Steve Jobs.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

He's busy getting kicked in the face...

Ooooh that's gotta hurt!

I used the "Deform" feature along with Animator.

BTW, I'm using 2004 SP1, and it STILL has the 'endless loop' bug I sent in over a half year ago. Basically, when you enable the Screen Capture feature of Animator, PhotoWorks will keep rendering the scene over and over again and you have to do the three finger salute to disable SolidWorks to get it to stop.

Mike

Mike J. Wilson

jon, so far so good.

Obviously, over a quarter million users DO WANT A SOLID MODELER and have bought SolidWorks for that. I would expect changes in the future, but most engineering design does just fine with solids. Otherwise it wouldn't be bought.

Hmmm...I was sure it was the Steves who started Apple and developed the concepts and not the Ts.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson