we pay €1.500/year/seat for *NOT* having support

thanks people at solidworks corp from the deep of my heart. we really appreciate your *NOT* supporting your subscription customers. yeah, you're right: we're paying *as few as 1.500 eur/year/seat* to get phone support and some crappy service packs every year and *NOT* having your support is the minimum. wonderful.

the last of the unsolved problems we're encountering is the same we had one year ago: swx [1] corrupts files when saving and/or [2] doesn't save certain files inside certain directories and/or [3] doesn't save anymore files already existing. in case [2], sometimes saving inside different directories work, sometimes it doesn't. in every case, often shutting down dbworks solves the problem. i have 3 engineers that have not been able to save some files on our server for 2 days now and the thing is going on for i-don't-know-how-much.

as usual, everything was okay until monday evening and the problem was born tuesday morning, with *nobody* doing *anything* to cause it. and, as usual, the only answer we got was "did you upgrade to the latest service pack?". yeah, we did, i downloaded that goddamn 150mb service pack few weeks ago and installed it, lost some hours with restoring our preferences and everything else.

we called our var, many times, and they couldn't give us any solution. finally, they decided to call directly people at swx corp to know if they had any suggestion. the reply they got from swx was "we don't support samba". what? you don't support samba? what support do you have to do for the server software used for file sharing? people at samba developing team has got to support samba, not you. you must tell me why your software doesn't save certain files into cercain directories: this has *nothing* to do with my file sharing software, since with any other software i can save any file in any directory. and what if i wanted to use a nas file server? 80% of nas use customized linux: we're not allowed to use a nas with swx because you, people at swx corp, can't understand why your software work this way?

i swear: if i could change cad today i'd immediately do it. i'm *so* unhappy about your support that i can't even say how much i am. the whole world blamed microsoft for their continuous useless "upgrading" their software, adding useless "features", slowing down systems, introducing new bugs. with every service pack, some bugs are solved and an dramatic number are introduced. i can't tell how disappointed i was when, with swx04sp4, *file saving* was corrupted. if a company cannot even guarantee its software can *save* your work, it would be better if they thought *much more* about what they do. go fetch some programmers at other companies if your ones can't do their job the way they should. it would be the time for people at swx to start making some serious debugging of their software and stop bulling people with crappy new releases.

few more things: thanks for that crappy "administrative image" tool, that cannot make an administrative image on a network drive directly. very useful, really. lovely, i'd say, to *have to* make an image locally, then to upload it onto a server. copying 3gbytes doesn't congestionate our network and doesn't make me loose even more time. was a simple plain copy of all the files too smart for you?

and, just to remember something more: was installshield working too well for you?

thanks also for giving us the need of brand new workstations every 2 years: 3 grands/workstation every 2 years is really a wonderful thing to pay.

thanks for making us loose so many work hours: they cost us not much more than 30/35 eur/each. i just have few tens of grands i cannot decide where to spend and loosing all this time is a wonderful way to waste money.

*UN*respectuflly,
Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

If I had your problems, I too would be flumoxed (confused). I'm a designer, and not a networking guy, so I just hack at those IT issues.

And the only thing I could think to help me instantly (once I find my VAR can't handle them) get out of the server problems would be to literally hire a top notch independent networking guy to sit down, put in monitoring tools, and start identifying what is really going on.

Reply to
Bonobo

Gianni,

I had a client that was experiencing similiar problems with an MS file server. It turns out the network anti-virus the IT guru's installed was causing random problems. Checking the event logs did not show anything was being touched by this application. However, every Monday morning after the virus check run problems started to appear. Turning off the virus checker option stopped the random problems. Still haven't resolved the issue.

Is your primary domain controller being done by Samba or a MS Domain Controller? If you are running the primary domain controller on a non-MS box then all bets are off. File permissions become a hit and miss affair as I have found out trying to operate in a client's "educational environment".

I can appreciate your frustration - we've all been there with SW at one time or another (In my case its more than I care to admit).

Len

Gianni R> thanks people at solidworks corp from the deep of my heart.

Reply to
lmar

Samba works well if you read the docs. Windows works well if you can find the docs.

Reply to
TOP

thanks to everybody for the replies.

in 2 words, we don't have a primary domain controller. we removed it few years ago because we were encountering problems with file permissions and dbworks access to those files, then i decided to work with a plain "workgroup" environment since we don't have security problems and/or a number of pc's in our network that would require a windows domain. we don't even have an antivirus, because i've read so many times that they create problems with swx and other similar problems. we're filtering everything coming from the internet on our proxy and don't have anything running on each workstation.

actually, samba has the ability to be a primary domain controller, but we're not using it because of the complexity of setting up the thing and our not needing windows domain features.

hehehe :) we say "common sick, half joy", but it's nothing more than a saying...

today, during an hour at phone with our var, it turned out to seem that the system doesn't like to save files ending with "9xx" [x being a number] in a directory whose name ends with "/Tp". can't figure out why, but it's a beginning.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

Complexity?

It's what? 3 lines in the smb.conf file?

Or use webmin or SWAT.

Running Gentoo file server with 0 problems. Using winbind tho because the domain controller is win2k.

-john

Here's my global & engineering share section (with Network Trash Can!): [global]

workgroup = domain netbios name = dilbert server string = Engineering Server

printcap name = cups load printers = yes printing = cups printer admin = @wheel jjab root @domain\Engineering domain\jjab disable spoolss = yes use client driver = yes

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m max log size = 50

map to guest = bad user

security = domain password server = 192.168.0.5 wins server = 192.168.0.5

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.1.0/24 hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

encrypt passwords = yes smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

winbind uid = 10000-20000 winbind gid = 10000-20000 winbind use default domain = yes

local master = no dns proxy = no

[engineering] path = /eng comment = Engineering Files public = yes writable = no printable = no write list = @domain\Engineering @domain\Administrators force group = domain\Engineering create mode = 0664 directory mode = 0775 hide dot files = yes veto files = /.recycle/lost+found/.*/~*/ delete veto files = no vfs object = recycle recycle: repository = .recycle recycle: version=True recycle: touch=True recycle: keeptree=True recycle: noversion = *.doc|*.xls|*.ppt recycle: exclude = *.tmp *.temp *.cache ~* *.bak *.his recycle: maxsize = 0
Reply to
John J

Gianni,

Just out curiosity, what back end database are you using DBWorks with? Access, MSDE, or SQL Server. Are you using SQL Server authentication?

Len

Reply to
lmar

now it's still using ms access.

i placed an order some weeks ago for a win2k3 sbs pro license with an sql license, but it takes *ages* for you to get microsoft's licenses here in italy.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

the first time you do something it's always hard and, since a windows domain would give us no advangtages over a simple workgroup, i've never looked at how to do it.

i'll keep your config file --and thanks for it-- and, perhaps, i'll use it for the other file servers we have.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

i've just been told that my license arrived. i'll install win2k3 this weekend and next week i'll move from access to sql.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini