HELPPPP - Corrupted files!

SOMEBODY HELP ME! I've been working on a project for a week straight and now the files won't open!!! I've rebooted like 40 times, I can't find any of the temp files,
AHHHHHHHH!!! It won't open ANY solidwoks files now, even old ones. I can't even save a new part that I've created! Here's the hard part...I don't have the CD's anymore to reinstall. Any suggestions?
This is the error it gives me:
--------------------------- SolidWorks --------------------------- hemi.SLDPRT Unable to register document. The document may already be open. --------------------------- OK ---------------------------
Jason. solidworks '07 sp2.

If I were you I'd ring my VAR and get them to help.
Sounds like it's a corrupt user registry for Solidworks.
If you feel comfortable with it, delete the following key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks 2006 (or whatever version that's giving you problems). Don't delete any other folders (keys) from under the main Solidworks one. This will set Solidworks back to the default installed state
"MAKE SURE" you're in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and not "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
A quick way to test this is to log on as administrator, or another user, and see if it fixes it.
Good luck
Mark

can't
call the Var that is why you have support in cases like this
never seen this in 10 yrs
Ain't been around much have ya ;>)
Seen it many times over the past 10 years with 10 users. it's a Windows thing more than a Solidworks thing. This guys problem sounds system or driver related.
Mark

Timely topic - Ironically, we just ran into this exact problem on a laptop system this morning. The laptop worked great up through the end of the day yesterday, but when I started it this morning (after hooking it up to our network to get a file) I started to get this error on SWx files (2006 and 2007). Deleting the tilda doesn't work - I get the same error on files copied from the server and pasted onto the desktop using windows explorer (no tilda) AND when trying to open a file created and saved on that laptop today. Shutting down and restarting was no help - nothing has been. BTW-No problem with other file types - just SWx parts.
Ed

Backup all data files, then use System Restore to restore registry files.
On a side note, I have a small utility on all my PC's ERUNT that makes a copy of the registry each day on start up. It can be a little less drastic than a System Restore if I encounter problems like the one you are having it's simply a matter of restoring the registry. I also backup the SolidWorks program folder on regular basis, restoring the SolidWorks program folder along with restoring the registry has saved my sanity on a number of occasions. Usually just restoring the registry has solved any issues.
Note I haven't had to do a system restore for a long time, but when I'm on a tight deadline it's nice to know 99% of my problems can be fixed in a matter of minutes using the procedure above. It sure beats reinstalling SolidWorks and or Windows, if you've got a client turning up in half an hour.
ERUNT http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt /
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz
I seem to remember this happening last year.
I believe it had something to do with Solidworks crashing and not releasing files
Close all instances of Solidworks.
Cntrl-alt-del and make sure no instances of Solidworks are running in the Processes tab.
Do a search for tilda (~)files and delete them.
---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ----------------------------------------------
Care to tell us what OS you are using? what hardware? Did you make an administrative image or install straight from disk?
Can you list the SW files you were working on?
Is the problem that SW won't read the files or that SW itself isn't running right?
When you say you can't find the temp files where are you looking? Why are you looking for temp files?
Did you have autorecover turned on?
Did you have backups turned on? If so did you have it set to 1 or 2+?
Did you have a nightly backup going? Was it file based or a partition image?
It might be a long shot and not sure if you or others have tried this but it has helped me a few times with corrupt part/asm/drw files...
EcoSqueeze!? http://www.ecocom.com /
Using it strips away redundant data so you end up with pure data.
Anyhow, see if it works?
..

Just wanted to update:
It turned out to be a service i'd turned off to try n' squeeze some extra performance outta this poor old thing. Opps. It was the DCOM service. I just googled the error. Everything is fine.
Jason

Bet you did that just before things went south too, didn't you?
TOP