How effective is SW training from VAR's?

From the previous thread on "envelopes" the statement was made: "The

reason people don't use them, (ie. envelopes) is that VARs don't do much educating."

While I agree that VAR's are the proper mechanism for such training, I believe that it is almost impossible for VAR's to a very good job in training. It is not that they don't try and it is not that they don't have good people but it is "us", (at least me) that is the problem. Like most of us, I have gone to several training classes. We have all been in these classes where for three solid days every fact that can be crammed into the time are thrown at us. Then after three days of not being at work when we get back it takes weeks to a month to deal with all of the issues before we get much of a chance to review what was in the class... If many of you are like me, I'm lucky to find the book after a month never mind remember what I learned in the class. I just don't believe that the format for these types of training, (ie. 3 day cramm sessions) are very successful and yet this seems to be the #1 tool that is available to VAR's to keep us informed.

Are there better ways?

One thing that I have found to be extremely useful has been the i-pod casts that mountain-wave.com has made. For me they have just been extremely helpful. For one thing, there have been times when some little step went by too fast. But, this has not been a problem because I could rerun that section over and over until I got it. One of the problems that I have with the help system is that the directions will describe pushing some button.... Fairly often I have spend quite a bit of time looking for some button or trying to figure out what they are trying to say... whereas it is very clear in a good wav file.

Now to be fair to my VAR, they have developed several hunderd (about 15 to 20 minutes long) wav files. The problem that I have with them is that they are fairly expensive and because there is not a good index, it can take quite a while to actaully find what is needed.

One solution that I have made to SW is that instead of the VAR's making a system of wav files is that SW itself should do this. The main reason for this is the cost. I took some assumptions about making 100 total hours of wav files that were PROPERLY indexed and a production cost of $4,000 per hour, (just an estimate) that the total cost would be approximately $1 per user, (World wide) if SW would do this. This would be equivelent to three 30 hours classes and a 10 hour class on "whats new". Enough training for all of us. Who of us would not be willing to pay $1, $10, even more for such a set of training wav files? The problem with VAR's attempting this is that they can only spread these costs over a very small number of users so the cost is too high.

Another advantage for this is that if SW would make a set of standard files that a fairly large number of support questions is, "how do I do XYZ?" could be eliminated. At the very least, with such a wav system the tech support person could say, "look at wav 1234" and call if you have any further questions. (of course, a good index would allow the user to not need to call in the first place... :-) ) The over all effeciency with such a wav system for the users, the VAR's and SW should be greatly improved.

Also, if SW were to make such a system the links in the help system could be greatly expanded and improved.

Does anyone agree with these ideas?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

If the essentials class touched on just the essentials and left out some of the marketing (Cosmos Xpress comes to mind) they would be more effective. I have both taught and attended these classes. The Essentials book is essential for any user of SW, even the advanced users. These classes will really benefit the new user because of the availability of the instructor to help get over the inevitable hurdles and brain block.

But after that some kind of web based self learning and review might be just the thing. Wouldn't it be nice if you could get this from the SW web site as part of your subscription? Say five one hour modules on mates, smart mates, smart fasteners, etc. with a self test at the end. Perhaps to get into a series of modules you would first have to do the classroom preparation and perhaps each VAR would be responsible to grade submissions and work over the phone or email to help users get over any humps.

Reply to
TOP

I think different users will learn better with different strategies, and that seems to be the way it was when I was "in school" eons ago.

Some people read manuals and try and study on their own, and then the people who come to class without any studying slow down the whole process to a crawl.

I just couldn't justify sitting for 60 minutes to create 10-20 features.

I agree that self-directed podcasts could be a real help if they were done right.

And when done right, I think they would be a valuable addition to get new users to SolidWorks, but & it is a B..U..T, the VAR looks at this entirely differently. A class full of people for so many days at half the price of the software they people just paid for is a big time income source.

I would expect the VARs to absolutely go ballistic over podcasts, until one company does it and forces the competitors to step up to the line. The 'SWks Basics for Dummies', is best left to a book and a podcast. The world will change, whether VARs want it to or not.

Now if the VARs took over and held classes on the more complex issues, including managing a server and workgroup, and one on one training for small group of persons from the same company, I think they could generate interest, but I don't know about the income.

Bo

T> If the essentials class touched on just the essentials and left out

Reply to
Bo

I agree with Flowerpot's comments about VAR's. Their training and support is invaluable to newbies, and can be useful if for example you have installation issues. However, for anyone with moderate experience or better, the only useful tech support comes from someone who has used the software day in day out for a year or two in industry, doing a similar sort of modelling to yourself. These people are as rare as hen's teeth at VAR's.

John H

Reply to
John H

After going through two training sessions, I agree. Our company will spend no more money training with the VAR. The last experience was awful and a tremendous waste of time and money.

Reply to
dlevy