Books on military or plane scale modelling

I'm looking for a good book on scale modelling for the beginner to advanced scale modeller either for planes or military scale models.

Anyone have any good suggestions? I have built models before but i want to finally be able to build a model that stands out. And yes i have read alot of how to's, i really want a book. Would be good if the book covers alot, including weathering and detailing a kit, and for the military kits with diorama stuff in it too.

Thanks alot for anyone who responds,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hmmm... Osprey has a few (beginning, intermediate, and advanced,) as does Kalmbach. Osprey's seem somewhat...simple, though.

Titles don't come to mind at the moment, though - I'd say check Kalmach's website, and probably Squadron's for the Osprey stuff.

Reply to
EGMcCann

The best one that is of reasonable price, still readily available and has a ton of useful information by a well renouned modeler is "Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles" by Shepard Paine. It is published by Kalmbach Books and is ISBN: 0-89024-045-0. My well used copy was bought new back in the 80s. It states the first printing as 1982. My book has a cover price of $8.95, but the

2003 Squadron Mail Order
lists it at $12.96 (retail price $14.95) and it is item #KA12058.

Highly recommended, but no aircraft included. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I recommend "How to Build Plastic Aircraft Models" by Roscoe Creed, printed by Kalmbach.

Sean

Anyone have any good suggestions? I have built models before but i want to finally be able to build a model that stands out. And yes i have read alot of how to's, i really want a book. Would be good if the book covers alot, including weathering and detailing a kit, and for the military kits with diorama stuff in it too.

Thanks alot for anyone who responds,

Mike

Reply to
Sean

Print those

cheap start. Pavlos

Reply to
Pavlos the Greek Modeler

I will have to back him up on that.I got that book and it is simply my favorite.Very easy to follow, i use it constently.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

I have to second Rob's endorsement-- this is a great book.

One thought-- try your local library. Most libraries are part of a network of some sort. There are probably copies of most of the Kalmbach books, at least, somewhere in the system. It is a great way to check out possible candidates for purchase...

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

I think the best book currently available for the military vehicle modeler is Tony Greenland's Panzer Masterclass. You can learn more about armor modeling just by studying the pictures of Tony's works in progress than you can by reading most books. The text is also very informative.

This is not to knock any of the Kalmbach books, they are usually very good as well.

John Plzak

Reply to
John Plzak