Any good books for a beginner?

Hello there...
I've been lurking for a while and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a good book for a beginner to get into robotics. I would
like something that covers a broad range of topics from the absolute basics to some more intermediate topics. Something that will be readable for a beginner, but have some meat to it too. I'm looking to do some research over Spring Break and then get started on some rudamentary projects when I get back.
Also, what are some reputable companies (online, mail, or phone) to order parts from?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Sincerely, Justin Higley
Justin wrote:

Robotics is a great subject, it ranges from electronics hardware, computers, computer science, mechanical engineering, and general mechanics. There is so much "meat" that I think that while you have to have a fluency in all the subjects, you need to focus mostly on one or two.
As for books, I have abunch of them and they are all pretty much the same. They touch lightly on the basics and don't seem to delve into the specifics.
So, I would save your money on the book, hop on over to http://oap.sourceforge.net , that is the home of the "Open Automation Project" that has some good "meat" on the bones for a beginner (in the form of instructions and source code).
After you get a handle on the general, find books on the specifics, like vision, automation techniques, motor control, and such.

Justin wrote:

In general, most folks (including me) recommend Gordon McComb's "Robot Builder's Bonanza". Has TONS of stuff to get you started. I'd strongly recommend starting with this.

Gordon also has a small company http://www.budgetrobotics.com, which is a good source for inexpensive kits and mechanical parts. I also like http://www.acroname.com and http://www.zagrosrobotics.com .
There are a plethora of places for electronics. I mainly use either digikey or jameco. There are LOTs of others, including a number of decent mechanical and electronics surplus houses (C&H sales, H&R, Electronic Goldmine, MPJA and many others -- google for URLs).
Hope that helps -- tAfkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

"the Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty" ...

I also like the Mike Predco book: "123 Robotics Projects ..."
DOC
Buy my junk! http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html
I agree with the Kap'n.
1. Buy Gordon McComb's "Robot Builder's Bonanza". 2. Read cover to cover 3. Decide what you want to build 4. Build it 5. Actually complete it
Ken www.speechchips.com
Justin wrote:

Have a look at: http://www.dontronics.com/alex.html#rob for a sizable list of recommended Robotic Books.
Don...
--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

Justin wrote:

while aimed at a particular competition I'd recommend "Robot Sumo - The Official Guide" by Pete Miles, published by osbourne ISBN 007222617X
It touches on quite a broad range of topics
regards, colin
Justin wrote:

would
As others have mentioned, Robot Builder's Bonanza by Gordon McComb is one of the classics. I've found both of David Cook's books to be too beginnerish in nature. One of my all-time favorites is "Mobile Robots" by Joe Jones and Anita Flynn. This book covers all the bases, including hardware, motor systems, sensors, and electronics, and also includes several chapters on subsumption programming using C.
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com ====================
Have a look on my website too for some info and the mini-FAQ for this news group.
http://users.tpg.com.au/daleste/Robotics/robotics.htm
Cheers
Dale