Any good books for a beginner?

Hello there...
I've been lurking for a while and I was just wondering if anyone
could suggest a good book for a beginner to get into robotics. I would
like something that covers a broad range of topics from the absolute
basics to some more intermediate topics. Something that will be
readable for a beginner, but have some meat to it too. I'm looking to
do some research over Spring Break and then get started on some
rudamentary projects when I get back.
Also, what are some reputable companies (online, mail, or phone)
to order parts from?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Sincerely,
Justin Higley
Reply to
Justin
Robotics is a great subject, it ranges from electronics hardware, computers, computer science, mechanical engineering, and general mechanics. There is so much "meat" that I think that while you have to have a fluency in all the subjects, you need to focus mostly on one or two.
As for books, I have abunch of them and they are all pretty much the same. They touch lightly on the basics and don't seem to delve into the specifics.
So, I would save your money on the book, hop on over to
that is the home of the "Open Automation Project" that has some good "meat" on the bones for a beginner (in the form of instructions and source code).
After you get a handle on the general, find books on the specifics, like vision, automation techniques, motor control, and such.
Reply to
mlw
In general, most folks (including me) recommend Gordon McComb's "Robot Builder's Bonanza". Has TONS of stuff to get you started. I'd strongly recommend starting with this.
Gordon also has a small company
which is a good source for inexpensive kits and mechanical parts. I also like
and
There are a plethora of places for electronics. I mainly use either digikey or jameco. There are LOTs of others, including a number of decent mechanical and electronics surplus houses (C&H sales, H&R, Electronic Goldmine, MPJA and many others -- google for URLs).
Hope that helps -- tAfkaks
Reply to
the Artist Formerly Known as K
I agree with the Kap'n.
1. Buy Gordon McComb's "Robot Builder's Bonanza". 2. Read cover to cover 3. Decide what you want to build 4. Build it 5. Actually complete it
Ken

kenlem
Have a look at:
a sizable list of recommended Robotic Books.
Don...
Reply to
Don McKenzie
"the Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty" ...
I also like the Mike Predco book: "123 Robotics Projects ..."
DOC
Buy my junk!

DOC
I developed a Robotics minFAQ for Beginners to answer questions such as yours. It covers numerous books, parts suppliers, some links that give a broad coverage of robotics, kits, sensors, and microcontrollers. You can find the FAQ posted at Steve Richard's Acroname site:
or Dale Stewards page
down to just below "Links and Resources"
John Piccirillo
Reply to
John Piccirillo
while aimed at a particular competition I'd recommend "Robot Sumo - The Official Guide" by Pete Miles, published by osbourne ISBN 007222617X
It touches on quite a broad range of topics
regards, colin
Reply to
Colin Durrans
As others have mentioned, Robot Builder's Bonanza by Gordon McComb is one of the classics. I've found both of David Cook's books to be too beginnerish in nature. One of my all-time favorites is "Mobile Robots" by Joe Jones and Anita Flynn. This book covers all the bases, including hardware, motor systems, sensors, and electronics, and also includes several chapters on subsumption programming using C.
- dan michaels
Reply to
dan
Have a look on my website too for some info and the mini-FAQ for this news group.
Cheers
Dale
Reply to
DS