Gen: Quality of Addar military models?

Hello,

I recently won some Addar models on Ebay. They had a couple of planes I wanted in the right scale. Anyway, I have never heard of this outfit before.

When I searched Ebay for them, it seems they also did some of the Planet of the Apes (original) figures. The Apes looked okay from what I see in one picture.

But, does anyone know how their military aircraft models in 1/72 scale are for quality? Also, anyone know anything about the company in general (ex. are they still producing)?

I appreciate any insights.

Reply to
SamVanga

Addar released four double kits from old Comet tooling; unfortunately all of them are smaller than 1/72 scale despite being marked as such on the boxes. I don't recall the exact scales but the pairings were:

Boeing Dash 80/B-58A (the -80 is 1/320 scale & the B-58 is also very small) F3D/F4D YF-100/F-94C F-84F/F9F Cougar

They're all mostly accurate but very basic kits. None of them have landing gear or much else in the way of detail, as would be expected of kits from the early 50s.

They went out of business about 20 years ago.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Addar Products was around from 1972-1977. All four of their aircraft kits were ex-Aurora, as were the folks who ran the company.

Scales varied from 1/82 to 1/168 and all four kits were packed two types of aircraft to the box. Quality was pretty good for the early to mid 1960s, odd scales hurt them some. They are mostly collector's items.

They had a lot of other aircraft planned, but they never appeared.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Many thanks for the info. Sounds like exactly what I won. However, I'm disappointed about the scales being off (although the seller said as much about the big planes, I was looking for the fighters).

Reply to
SamVanga

Also many thanks for the info. I guess I can always try to sell them myself since I'm actually looking for the particular items in the right scale.

Reply to
SamVanga

Which aircraft are you looking for in what scale?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

True, but all of them were originally Comet kits. I mention this because Aurora also did their own unique tools for the F4D, F-100, and F-94C, all of them in larger scales than the Comet kits and owing nothing at all to them.

It gets even better. Besides these three Aurora duplicated some other Comet releases, even issuing both versions with the same kit numbers. I don't know of any way to tell which is which short of opening the kit so this can make things really interesting when bidding on sealed kits on eBay....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

O Hell, back then we were grateful if the box had all the parts in it.

Reply to
Tom Cervo