Aurora Planet of the Apes

Today I stopped at my local Toys R Us to get something unrelated to modeling. On a whim I decided to go see what they offer for modeling, expecting to find very little. I was right, there wasn't much at all, just a handful of kits. But what shocked me was there were 4 or 5 of the Aurora Planet of the Apes kits that I remember from my childhood in the 1970s! I'm assuming that these are re-pops of the old kits. They had Zira, Dr. Zaius, etc, in what looked like the original boxes (I remember the box art from way back when). On a related note, I remember going to Toys R Us years ago and having entire aisle full of models and paints/brushes/glues/etc. Those days are long gone apparently.

Reply to
Pauli G

kits that I remember from my childhood in the 1970s! I'm assuming that these are re-pops of the old kits>>

Old Aurora, now Polar Lights. There's a hobbyshop here that carries them too.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

The original Planet of the Apes kits were made by Addar, a spin off of former Aurora employees.

Polar Lights now repops these in reproduction Aurora boxes, even though the original kits were not Aurora.

They have 4 different repopped kits, Dr. Zaius, Cornelius, Dr. Zira and General Ursus. TRU also does a giant box with all four kits inside and a backdrop of the destroyed Statue of Liberty on the box bottom.

The original Addar series had three other kits that were not re-done, General Aldo, Caesar and a horse mounted gorilla soldier (always wanted one).

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

I remember having one but not sure which. It was a soldier holding a rifle, I think.

Reply to
T. Forward

I got that Matchbox 1/32 Spitfire Mk22/24 for $4 at one while I was in college. Also the Dauntless.

You're right. Gone, but not forgotten.

Reply to
mark