Armour kits - 1/32 v 1/35

Recently I started finding out about the wonders of E-bay and purchased some of the kits I can remember fascinating me from my childhood (that I could never afford and only appeared out here in New Zealand fleetingly). The kits in question include the Airfix range of 1/32 armour (Grant, Grief, etc...). Got me to thinking why the armour range has centred around 1/35 scale rather than 1/32. I know Monogram and others put out a slew of armour kits in 1/32. I also know there is still a thriving market for 1/32 (54mm) figures. Any thoughts on what led to the demise of 1/32 armour kits and why

1/32 figures are still relatively popular?
Reply to
David N Evans

I think 1/35 became the popular scale when Tamiya entered the market. Apparently 1/35 is easier to work with in metrics than 1/32. I've got quite a few of the 1/32 Airfix kits (Lee, Grant, Crusader, Monty's staff car, US soldiers, Desert Rats). Nice kits.

Reply to
rgronovius

Reply to
Gerald Owens

There was no standard scale to begin with. Many early vehicle kits were "fit the box" scale, but in the middle 1950's, Renwal began their modern military vehicle series in 1/32nd, while Revell kits were standardized as 1/40th. At this time, Monogram started issuing 1/35th scale kits of military vehicles (and even a Navy demolition team boat). I suspect they wanted a scale that was visually compatible with the

1/36th scale metal military identification models that had been made during the war and had been issued postwar as children's toys. The decision to go "one scale down" was probably to make it less odd to customers in metric countries. And conveniently, a 5'10" man is exactly two inches tall in this scale (though some boxings of the kits were marked as 1/32nd, so perhaps someone in Monogram's marketing department regretted going with the odd scale). When the Japanese model manufacturers started doing military kits, they experimented with numerous scales, but most eventually decided in the 1960's to stick with Monogram's scale. This was Tamiya Mokei, Nitto Kagaku and eventually, Nichimo, (after they briefly flirted with 1/30th)--> Recently I started finding out about the wonders of E-bay and purchased some