What is the purpose of the scale model newsgroup

I recently returned to model building after many years. I have been following this board for a little under a year to try to get up to get back up to speed regarding new products and methods of doing things. While I was doing this I built a few kits of different types. From doing this I decided I wanted to build a series of ships from the WWII era. I bought a Dragon 1/700 Arizona and a couple of books on this ship and a book on building and detailing ship models. One thing was missing. It was obvious that the paint suggestions from Dragon were not accurate. How do I come up with a reasonably accurate paint scheme?

I googled and found lots of info on building the kit and lots of stuff on the Arizona but nothing very helpful as far as a suitable color for the teak deck and the "steel" areas of the hull and the rest of the ship. I posted a message on this board asking if anyone had specific paint suggestions. I received a couple of thoughts but then I got scolded for asking such a question with the remarks "doesn't anyone do their own research anymore" and "doesn't anyone use google anymore"?

I thought this board was to help with these kinds of questions? With all the "OT" stuff that goes on, it amazed me that a real modeling question would get dismissed as wasting someones time and attempting to make me feel lazy and stupid.

Reply to
yoeleven

Actually if I could get to my refernces right now I might be able to help.....but they're packed up and not accessible while the house is being remodlled.

Reply to
Ron

this isn't a board, it's a newsgroup. different animal. i too stumbled in after a hiatus from modeling. while there are the turkeys and eagles, much serious modeling discussion does take place. the knowledge of history and modeling skills here still amazes me. just keep the plastic sheep ready for spaltter and you will get a lot. ot is a usnet tradition...like flies on a cow pie.

You need to read the message Craig posted to you again. He quite clearly is referring to the model companies doing more research in regards to their paint instructions.

******************

The Banner 1/350 kit lists the gun barrels as being painted silver.....I seriously doubt this is correct.

Has any kind of research, even a google search by the model companies, gone out the window...????

Craig

******************

I hope that clears that up.

WmB

WmB

(rest snipped)

I posted a message on this board asking if anyone had specific

There is a fair amount of OT stuff going back and forth on RMS and that's OK. Fortunately, most of the time OT posts are identified as such in the subject line or you can tell from the subject line that they are OT and you can pass them by. .

That said, I did not see the earlier posts in this thread and don't know who it was that posted the scolding remark in reply to your question. However, in my mind, they were wrong to do so. Some folks love researching anything and everything under the sun and have the time to do so. Unfortunately, some think that everyone loves to research things to death and has the time to do so. I personally don't understand the attitude that you described.

I do not know the answer to your question but I hope someone else on the NG can help you.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

You need to read the message Craig posted to you again. He quite clearly is referring to the model companies doing more research in regards to their paint instructions.

******************

The Banner 1/350 kit lists the gun barrels as being painted silver.....I seriously doubt this is correct.

Has any kind of research, even a google search by the model companies, gone out the window...????

Craig

******************

I hope that clears that up.

WmB

WmB

This group is actually mild compared to some of the others. Check out rec.sport.golf, there was a thread which started on about Tiger Woods "colourful" language (he's been known to swear like a trooper on course), which started a political debate, which went on to WWII, then NATO and ended up talking about cheap hookers in Paris........

Every Usenet group has the same thing, we're all just people and people talk about the weirdest things.............

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

models and links to many sites. It's really a great place. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

that was me newbie, and the google reference was directed to the model companies, not you.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Much nicer than the tart reply I got once on the model railroad group several years ago. I think this has come up once before and it may be in my files as I had a Revell kit and was going to do it up right. I'll try looking tonight and see if I come up with something.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

At least they left his girlfriend out of it... I hope.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

"> > > > Question, have you tried to contact the US Navy, and ask them if there are

or try one of the Arizona memorial websites, probably hundreds of them. a few survivors no doubt could help. Also a few years back the National Geographic did a detailed underwater survey of the ship in an issue that had great graphics. search their site for it, all Nat'l Geo's are for sale on ebay....

Craig

Reply to
who me?

Um, wasn't me that said that.

Steve H

Digital_Cowboy wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

Just trying to keep you from wasting your time.

Reply to
Ron

Certainly there is off-topic stuff on the group, as well as in-jokes, flame wars, insulting responses, and other undesireable stuff. However, that is the nature of usenet. This group is actually about the best of any I subscribe to as far as the percentage of that stuff. There IS a lot of good scale modeling info. While the majority of the later is about aircraft, there is still lots of stuff occasionally on cars, ships, and other genre. Plus there is a lot of general modeling stuff like discussion on tools, painting, glues, etc.

If you are look>

Reply to
Don Stauffer
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Is Yahoo still selling groups subscribers' address to the spammers? That's why I left about two years ago.

The Old Timer