Make your own decals

Hi all, I went to Hobby Lobby today--didn't find any kits I wanted at half price--but, I did find a Testor's Custom Decal System for $6.48. It includes two pieces of 5.5x8.5 decal paper, one white, one clear; a 3" CD with software, and a can of Testor's Decal Bonder. The software is supposed to have all kinds of graphics, including license plates for cars.

I've never used a 3" mini CD before. Do I have to get some kind of "donut" to put around it before I put it in my CD-Rom drive?

There is also a website listed on the box, www.decal gear.com. It has a run down of what I've told you plus other supplies available. I'm not affiliated with the site. However, I think this will make homemade decals possible to a non artistic guy like me. Check it out. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

"jerry 47" wrote

I guess you're not willing to just try it . . . Open your drive and look at it. My drive has a small inner recess that might be for minis.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

It depends on your drive.

If you have a tray-loading CD drive where you have to snap the disc onto a hub, it should handle 3" discs with no problems.

If you have a tray-loading drive where you just drop the disc onto the tray, it should have a round depression exactly the right size for a 3" CD. Put the disc in there.

If you have a tray-loading drive that's turned sideways (vertically), with clips around the edges to keep a CD from falling out, it won't hold a 3" CD in the right position; but if you turn the machine so the drive is horizontal, it should work.

If you have a slot-loading drive, it probably won't work with 3" CDs. Find a friend with a tray-loading drive and have him copy it onto a full-size CD-R. I think you can get an adapter ring to fit around a 3" CD, making it a full-size CD, but I wouldn't want to try it -- if they come apart while in the drive, you'll have a helluva time getting them out again.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

the total files are only 15 megs. if you need a conversion, give me a shout. but try it if you have a normal pc cd.

That wasn't Kurt......remember 45 adapters for record players? The insert in the hole kind....now reverse it....there are or were adapters for mini CD's.

Reply to
Ron

What *exactly* is on the CD? Is it things that are already "do-able" with standard graphics applications? And that just simply prints onto decal stock? Or is it something unique to this application?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Yes..as long as the tray has that recess...there should be no problem. Even the smaller, square-ish "Business Card" CD's work in a normal tray, (playing *and* burning) with no problem.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Reply to
Don Stauffer

a couple of pages of simple stuff. star and bars and flames. the kit is a rip off, imnsho. DON"T buy the on-line stuff. just toss the disc in and look.

Digital_Cowboy

you talkin to me? hey, you talkin to me? i own some edison cylinders...adapt that! (g)

Could be done, I adapted a turntable to record my collection of 78rpm Big Band. The wiring would be the same to get them at least to cassette, and then to CD. Bet you have some unusual music.....

The Old Timer

There is a "wax" cylinder of my grandmother singing some roaring 20's pop song in my sister's attic. We also have the original wind-up phonograph and the skeleton of the horn.

Reply to
Wildcat

best setup is electro pickup to tube pre-amp directly to high end sound card. i can digitize any audio signal. and i work for unwanted kits. thassa hint, guys.

if you just want to use it. don't do that if it is a rare machine.

There you go! My wife's uncle has a cylinder of his father (my wife's grandfather obviously) telling dirty jokes down at the local pub from back in the late 1920s. He wasn't a professional comedian, but give him a few beers and............

The Old Timer

Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown