Driving drawings?

Ok, I have to ask, why would you ever want the drawing to drive the part or assembly?

There is a registry key that can be changed, so that the drawing is driven by the part or assembly. Does anyone know where this is?

Reply to
pete

"pete" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

The only way I know would be to make a sketch in your part/ assy that drives the geometry of your part/ assy

Reply to
Jean Marc

I quite often do this. I normally use model dimensions on drawings, and if I happen to notice that a dimension is some funny number, where a nice round integer would do, then I will change it in the drawing which then updates the model.

John H

Reply to
John H

the part or assembly.

Pete, Right now, by default, associativity is bi-directional. SolidWorks used to have a load option to disallow drawing changes to update the model. In this case, the only way to update drawings would be to change the model. This method is in-line with the old "drafting days" where drafters were not allow to change data, all marching orders came from Engineers & Designers. So, it you'd like this type of control, edit the registry to suit. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Thanks Eddie for your reply,

Yes I do like this type of control, because I do not want the model data changed by the drawing. The old days with engineers and designers verses the drafting personnel is long gone.

I do all three and this is the way the world is going.

There is a problem in sw2007, which is sorted in sw2008, which would benefit from this mono-directional control.

I just want to know where the key is and was wondering why anyone would want to drive anything from the drawing.

I have one answer from John, giving an example of why. But why not just update the model? Hmmm...

Did just one person got the whole solidworks package changed?? lol ;-P

Reply to
pete

"pete" wrote

I do this when I'm working on the drawing and spot the "error" - why go back to the model to fix it when I can fix it from the drawing?

Don't all the other 3D CAD apps have this ability? - certainly some do that I've used.

John H

Reply to
John H

John,

I am just hunting for more reasons to use bi-directional. If it works for you, I am pleased for you, but surely you can not be the only one who thinks this is good?

I just like to know that once the part or assembly is finished, it is locked and can not be changed by outside influences.

Having been in the computer IT game for so long, I love read only and admin only access security, lol Must be the IT guy syndrome!!! You know that no one can be trusted! :-)

I don't know as I don't use other 3D cad packages, as I have used AutoCAD 2D for many years. But are there any other benefits that I can't see?

Reply to
pete

"pete" wrote

Well, I'm with you 100% on this one, but my experience of using SWX (without PDM, it has to be said) is that I can't rely on it AT ALL to keep parts/drawings looking the same from closing them one evening to opening them the next morning!

If you've got read-only access on the part/assy, then you shouldn't be able to modify it from the drawing in any case. In that scenario, a frustrated user might decide to do a manual over-ride on a drawing dimension to "make it look right", and you really don't want to be going down that route.

John H

Reply to
John H

John is not the only one. I think lots of us run that way.

Having said that, there are disadvantages to allowing the drawing to modify the part. What looks fine in the drawing may raise havoc in the assembly. You could create an interference, or take away a required interference, or change a required clearance. You could break other parts that were designed in-context based on the part you changed.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger