Southampton Model Centre - Gone?

Hello
As I was in the area attending the annual Eastpoint Centre show, I thought I would pop along to the Southampton Model Centre in Totton.
Somewhat suprised to find the shutters firmly closed on a Saturday afternoon and have also just noticed their website seems to be off the air as well.
Have they folded their tents and disappeared into the night?
I know that SMC were not exactly held in the highest regards by some in the model railway community but I did pay a visit on the unlikely off chance they might have a Hornby Skaledale Goods Shed (The seemingly now discontiued brick style one which seems to have vanished off the face of the earth just as I wanted one!)
Regards John M Upton
My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures: http://gallery39764.fotopic.net /
Bus Pics: http://gallery42239.fotopic.net /
On 28/01/2006 19:51, JMUpton2000 said,

Their website does still seem to be OK, but a bit slow http://www.southamptonmodelcentre.com /
Perhaps they just close on Saturday afternoons!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Website incredibly slow, but still there and their eBay shop still has loadsa listings - not as if that means anything.
John.

Southampton Model Centre has an advertisement in February's Railway Modeller, Page 25A. Opening times are given as 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday, and 9.00 am to 1.00 pm on Saturday - and from my own experience they have closed at that time on a Saturday for a few years. Telephone and Fax Nos are 02380 - 667317 and 02380 - 873873 respectively. Hope this is of assistance, David Costigan. PS - I thought the Southampton show today (and tomorrow, for those interested) was pretty good. Star layout (in my humble opinion) was Charleweston by the Wolverhampton MRC. Scale length trains, accurately formed, on a layout instantly recognisable as being based on the ex-Great Central main line, no derailments, no "finger-prodding" to get things moving and very good working semaphore signals. Well worth an extended viewing.

Agreed. One of the best Eastpoint shows for a while. I particularly found both Charleweston and also the lovely 009 layout fascinating and normally narrow gauge isn't my thing!
Regards John M Upton

They close at 1pm on saturday afternoons, however some saturdays appear to close even earlier.
IMHO there are two better model shops in Southampton, first is Footplate Models in Shirley (see: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?xD0743&y 3651&z=0&sv=SO15%205FB&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=EXHIBITION%20,%20ATTRACTION%20and%20MODEL%20SHOP%20LOCATION%20FINDER&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf ) which stocks predominantly accessories, track, kits, scenic materials, etc..
and The Old Toy Shop in Northam/St Marys ten mins walk from the city centre. It stocks a good range of Bachmann and Hornby plus plenty of second hand stuff and his prices are some of the lowest I've ever come across from a reputable trader. Thoroughly recommended by a satisfied punter. See http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?xD2697&y 2164&z=0&sv=SO14%200PB&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=EXHIBITION%20,%20ATTRACTION%20and%20MODEL%20SHOP%20LOCATION%20FINDER&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

So bizzarely they close early on the one Saturday in the year when there is a high proportion of railway modellers in the City. Great business sense that!!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?xD0743&y 3651&z=0&sv=SO15%205FB&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=EXHIBITION%20,%20ATTRACTION%20and%20MODEL%20SHOP%20LOCATION%20FINDER&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf )
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?xD2697&y 2164&z=0&sv=SO14%200PB&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=EXHIBITION%20,%20ATTRACTION%20and%20MODEL%20SHOP%20LOCATION%20FINDER&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
My geography of Southampton is a little rusty (All I know is the Railway Station, Burger King and the Eastpoint Centre!!) so thanks for these, I will put them on my to visit list next time I am in the area.
Regards John M Upton
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:03:58 -0000, "JMUpton2000" <securitynovels @ freeuk.com> wrote:>

ISTR that the people behind Southampton Model Centre are heavily involved in running a Soccer team in Winchester. Hence the closedown of the shop on Saturday Afternoons.
G.Harman

Thats what I thought - I've been more and more unimpressed with Soton Model Centre which seems to be heading downhill over the past 18-months. Last time I visited they appear to have been invaded by dolls houses.

You're welcome, all I can say is that I'm a satisfied punter at both the shops so I'm happy to recommend them. Both shops have parking outside, alternatively you can use buses to get to each, let me know if you need details.
I'll second the recommendation for the Old Toy Shop, very good pricing on new stuff and all sorts of old & interesting second hand bits & pieces. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Eastpoint this year, always a good show, and I particularly wanted to see Charwelton, but I had the kids in tow, and the venue is always ( IMHO of course) really hot & crowded, and very buggy hostile, being multi-level.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: > Unfortunately I didn't make it to Eastpoint this year, always a

I have to agree, Eastpoint isn't good for those with even minor physical impediments, most small-medium venues seem to have some issue or another though...