"new" Lord of the Isles set

I put new in inverted commas because the tooling is UNCHANGED. When I was told of the re-release of this set I was excited as I figured Hornby would be able to really go to town on this and make it a beautiful scale model.......... It's a toy and as clunky as it has always been - no correct tender - the old Clerestories - moulded handrails ....

dammit!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

On 14/02/2006 20:11, mindesign said,

No, no, no - you've missed the point! The model retains it's classic features to keep collectors happy! At least, that was the impression I got :-)

It is a shame that Hornby didn't do a full rework of this model, but I guess it's market will be limited. I'll just keep on looking at my genuine classically-featured Triang model!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"mindesign" wrote

Over the years Hornby have done a small number of similar re-releases of old models including Stephenson's 'Rocket', the Caley Single and the 'Lord of the Isles' set. They have only ever updated the items to avoid having to remanufacture obsolete motors and include make modest updates to the wheel standards.

It never crossed my mind that this would be any different, and it rather surprises me that you thought they might even have contemplated updating the tooling on such an obscure item.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

and my 6! Plus 2 Caledonian Singles Plus rockets plus plus plus

all mint

I do have two other Dean Singles unfinished - one, an extensive rework of the Tri-ang offering, the other a diecast kit, as yet unstarted.

but still ........

:^)

Reply to
mindesign

good point

I guess it is a perfect example of "because I won some wouldn't everyone want one too?"

These are stunning when super detailed or kitbuilt - but beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and as I am modelling a layout set in the 1930's these locos add real interest.

Reply to
mindesign

I of course meant to say - because I "OWN" some........!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

mindesign said the following on 15/02/2006 03:09:

I dunno - knowing where you get some of them from :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

mindesign said the following on 14/02/2006 20:52:

I've never been keen on the Caley Single for some reason, but I would like a cheap Rocket set in mint condition. Trouble is, that is an unlikely combination! I'll have to wait until I'm richer :-(

I keep looking at the Airfix Rocket kit still unstarted, wondering how to convert it to P4, without a bl**dy great gear being visible!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

well indeed - all of them in fact!

Reply to
mindesign

We do need some stuff to attract kids into the hobby and colourful models are a good start (I lusted after this particular one when I was a kid, never got one though)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yeah as if the kind of people who buy this are ever going to take it out its box? On the other hand Tomy make an excellent range of toys for the purpose.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The fact that the Lord of the Isles loco also happens to be a perfect match for a Thomas the Tank Engine character seems to have been another deciding factor in Hornby's decision to extract this piece of junk from storage.

What next? The Co-Bo? Actually that is not such a bad idea now I come to think of it. I wonder if Hornby still have the body mould lying around somewhere......

Regards John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:

Bus Pics:

JMUpton2000

wrote

Hi Mike,

I guess the current railway scene is colourful in itself, certainly far more so than the steam era or the BR blue/grey era which followed and yet there were (and are) plenty of enthusiasts for both.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"JMUpton2000" wrote

I'd have thought that it would have passed to Wrenn and then in turn to Dapol, but there was no suggestion of either re-issuing same.

John.

Reply to
John Turner