Brinks Home Security Complaints

Shane of Tomball TX (07/16/07)

We recently decided to cancel monitoring by Brinks Home Security and have a new company take over the monitoring. Brinks has informed us that they wish to send out a technician to remove all Brinks equipment including wiring and sensors throughout the house. When I purchased the house in 2001, it already had all the equipment installed.

At the time, we purchased or should I say paid for two smoke detectors that were supposedly faulty. Brinks is now claiming that they own all the equipment and wiring installed in the premise and claim if we do not allow them to remove all wiring, sensors etc. then they would send us a bill for $500.00.

Cindy of Bolingbrook IL (06/27/07)

I called to cancel my brinks home security system and was told I'd have to be home because someone from Brinks would have to come over to remove the two keypads as well as the transformer. I couldn't believe they would remove the keypads so I called our local Brinks branch and was told by the manager that they do not need to remove the system, by doing so, they would leave holes in the wall and we'd probably have to repair the wall and then repaint it. He then said all they would do is disable the dialer and leave the equipment there at no additional cost to me.

I then called Brinks at their 1800 number and spoke to a Shaterra. When I asked her if I had the option of keeping the equipment, she replied yes, but at a cost of $500.00. That's when I told her what the manager from our local Brinks branch assured me. I truly think Brinks is in the business of trying to keep you as their customer by a) lowering your bill if you tell them you are thinking of canceling (they cut my bill in

1/2 for 6 months) and then if you call again to say you decided to cancel, they would stick you with either unfinished walls with holes in it, or charge you an outrageous fee for you to keep the equipment.

Leneta of Tucker GA (05/23/07)

I was away from my home when the fire alarm was activated. It turned out it was caused by a plumber soldering some pipes. The fire department came and saw there was no fire and left. I called Brinks and asked them to remotely stop the alarm from going off and they told me it was a $20 charge! I've had this system for 13 years and couldn't believe they would charge me to turn off the alarm.

I was told they would waive the fee IF I agreed to a service call to test my system. In other words to avoid a $20 fee, I had to commit to a $50+ fee and time off from work! I can't believe this is standard in the industry, but I'm going to find out.

F. of Pawtucket RI (04/09/07) Whe we signed up for services with Brinks, we were informed by the sales person that we needed to pay for a Permit fee at that time we paid, when they came to install the alarm we asked about the permit and they did not have it, a week later after a called the offices several times, I was told by the sales person that he was going to pull the permit then, I stated that was not possible since the work had been done and the permit needs top be pulled prior to the work being done. I also contact my town hall, permit dept and was told that Brinks does this a lot, charges people for permits but does not pull them.

I requested a refund for the permit fee, and was told that would take about 2 months to be able to receive my refund, they needed to research it, when they know they made the mistake, I have spoken to other Brinks customers that state they had never had a permit for work for them either

Akeem of Columbus OH (08/20/03) In April 2003 the main telephone line my home was inoperable. I contacted SBC Ameritech to repair the problem, however, their findings during their investigation reflected that the problem was was due to a defect in the alarm system installed by Brinks Security. I contacted Brinks and informed them of the problem. The 1st technician 51800/D Bidwell came out and stated he fixed the problem and provided his phone numbers for contact if the problem continued. I contacted him to tell him that I was unable to make calls from my home because the phone line was still dropping calls. He never returned my phone calls, so I contacted Brinks again 1-week later.

The service Manager, Steven came out inspected the work of the technician and stated that he will be sending a Sr. Technician out to repair the problem. The supervisor called me back 2-weeks later to inform me he could not find my paper work or repair order and did not provide an operable phone number,so I was unable to reach him. I then contacted Brinks again in June to express my disappointment in their workmanship and poor customer service. I was unable to use my home phone during the length of this time. Another repair technician came out who proclaimed he fixed the problem, at which time I agreed to add a new keypad on the 2nd floor of my home.

To my surprise, 2 hours after he left the alarm light indicator did not work, so I contacted Brinks again to come out and correct the problem. Technician 51800/D Bidwell stated that he fixed the problem only to find out later that I had a dysfunctional product that created false alarm sounds for the entire weekend. I am also still having problems with my phone, unable to make or receive calls.

Debra of Gig Harbor WA (02/28/03) I was a renter in a home there was a Brinks Home Security System in place. I hooked up service for about a year and a half. I always paid my bill and never had any problems. The owner filed Bankruptcy (the home owner) and I had to move out. So I notified Brinks to let them know I needed to disconnect my service because I had to move out. They said that was fine and they would note it. After moving out. I went back to the home to clean up and accidentally set off the alarm. I called Brinks to let them know it was a false alarm and they indicated to me that they were not getting the notice of the alarm because I had disconnected service. so I figured all was fine on both ends.. a few month later I get this outrageous bill saying I owe them all kinds of money..

I sent a letter back WITH the statment indicating that I had cancelled service months prior.. but now I have a bill for over $1,000.. they're response was oh yea,, we saw you cancelled.. but you need to put it in WRITING.. we have a FORM you need to fill out.. I indicated that no one EVER sent the form when I disconnected service and it was acknowledged that I had INDEED disconnect service... but they're STILL trying to charge me fully knowing I moved OUT of the home over 3 YEARS ago.!!! They are trying to bill me for a service I did NOT receive.. and NOT only that.. the home was BOUGHT by someone else.

Ho of New York NY (07/29/02) I purchased a BRINKS Home Security System and and had my house prewired for the system so that the hardware would be ready to be installed when I took title of the house in 6 months. I pre-paid 50% of the $941 for the system. A little over 1 month after I purchased the BRINKS system and had my house pre-wired, a strong thunderstorm with strong winds passed over my house and caused my house as well as 4 others to be severely damaged and all 5 houses had to be demolished and rebuilt. I contacted the salesperson who sold us the BRINKS system and he in turn contacted his supervisor to see what could be done about re-wiring the house.

I stated to the area manager of BRINKS that I felt I should not have to pay to have the house re-wired since it was not my fault or anyone's fault that the house collapsed. The area manager said he did not know if he would be able to waive the re-wiring fee and said he would get back to me. After waiting over 2 weeks for a response and not getting one, I decided to call back and was told by my salesperson that the area manager was away on vacation and that he would contact me with an answer as to whether I would have to pay for the re-wiring as soon as the area manager came back from vacation and he was able discuss my situation to him again. The salesperson finally called back and told me the area manager felt that since it was not BRINKS fault that my house collapsed as well that BRINKS should not have to pay to have my house re-wired again and that I would have to pay an additional service fee of $200.

I told the salesperson this is unacceptable and decided to contact the regional manager responsible for the Jersey City, NJ area. After 3 calls to the BRINKS 800 number I was able to get the number of the regional manager and left him a message on his voice mail. That evening I received a phone call from the regional manager and he asked me who I thought was going to pay to have the house rewired and I stated I felt BRINKS should absorb the cost of the rewiring. The regional manager stated he would not do this because he had a responsibility to the company's shareholders.

Scott of Houston (03/26/02) When I bought my home 10 years ago it had a Brinks' alarm system already installed. I called the company and started service. Recently I had a new alarm system installed (ADT) and called Brinks to cancel service. The operator told me that I only had one chance a year to cancel and I would have to pay the monthly service for nine more months before I could cancel. She went on to explain that Brink's (unlike ADT) owned the equipment in my home and would need to come out and pick it up. I don't remember signing a contract with Brink's since the system was in the house when I bought it and all I did was call them up and start service. I have requested a copy of the contract and a list of all of the equipment that they want to remove. Are they responsible for cleaning up the mess when they remove the equipment?

Report Your Experience If you've had a bad experience with a consumer product or service, we'd like to hear about it. All complaints are reviewed by class action attorneys and are considered for publication on our site. Knowledge is power! Help spread the word. File your consumer report now.

Jim Rojas