Pricing

I don't get it? Looking at some E sites I see the Late BR M7 is 11gbp cheaper than the Early BR M7. (Pricing on the same site) Besides the emblem, is there that much difference to warrent 11gbp difference? Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Each vendor experiences two pressures on price: downward, to beat the competition; and upward, to meet his expenses (and with luck make a real profit). The price at which these two pressures are equal is the price charged.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Opposite, the late will sell more, so they need to make more profit off the one that sells less which will be the early one.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

If you're running a charity maybe but not if you're running a business. Do you work for Royal Mail by any chance?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

No, just quoting a friend who has a shop selling m7!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

How long has he been in business?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

25+ years

Reply to
Piemanlarger

And how many early version M7's has he sold in that time?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Would that be Hattons of Liverpool by any chance? They had on Friday night when they first appeared, the early crest at £60 and the late crest at £64. (Rails of Sheffield had both at £61.95 and both are now out of stock)

Then oddly on Tuesday morning, the early crest on Hattons website shot up to £75 although fortunately I was charged the £60 rate as I ordered on the Friday.

All very odd...

Regards John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:

Bus Pics:

JMUpton2000

Got it in one!!!! Ill begetting mine from John Turner. Im not so concerned about a couple of quid, as to why there is such a difference cos of era? Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Piemanlarger" wrote

I don't follow the logic of that.

I order stock on the strength of my assessment of how it will sell. If I think I can sell 20 late crest and 5 early ones, then that's the proportion in which I will order. I'm perfectly happy to make the same profit on each.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"JMUpton2000" wrote

Not just odd, but rather silly.

Our Hornby rep told us that only a small proportion of the total order for M7s had been received in Margate and mainly shipped to the big mail order companies, but the rest were expected very soon.

It sounds to me that there is some element of profiteering going on here with those customers who cannot wait for a few days.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Of course the irony is that if I had waited a few days rather than ordering my early crest from Hattons on the Friday, I would have paid more....

It does sound like Hornby are favouring the big boys of the industry over the smaller stores. If my local store had had it in stock on the Friday evening the same as Hattons and Rails, they would have got my money there and then.

As it was I wanted to secure one as soon as possible especially at the £60 price.

Needless to say that I would like another one but that shall be purchased from my local shop (a little bit more pricey but the service is good as is the banter) as I like to spread my support around, this is of course assuming I have any spare cash left after going to Woking this weekend!

Regards John M Upton

Reply to
JMUpton2000

"Rob Kemp"

Greed.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Hatton's is still charging £2.50 less for the early crest Bachmann 9F

92116 than for the late crest versions (black 92192 and "Evening Star" 92220). However, prices on all of them have gone up by £10 since I ordered mine in August.
Reply to
MartinS

hundreds, always been one of the best selling kits the M7!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

In message , JMUpton2000 writes

Was that the only thing you bought in that order? What about the postage and packing? Doesn't that effectively increase the price? Could it make your local model shop cheaper?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Its up to you how you run your business John and many people think you run a good one, me included. . The logic is simple, though perhaps unfair.

You are going to sell 20 late crest because its what most customers want, and so you make £5 profit on each one.

Your only going to sell 5 early, but you will sell them as there are 5 customers who "must" have them. They will pay extra so you can make £20 profit on each.

It may not seem fair to the customer, but in retailing small shops usually need all the profit they can make and this is how some make it. When my local shop reaches the last model of a run, either a loco, wagon, skaldale building et, he hikes the price right up. He has Lima locos in the High £40 bracket on the shelf, i have seen other hornby tender drive locos that were around £65 hiked to £85. The reason being if someone wants that last one, they will pay extra. It works too!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Maybe that's why the Lima locos are still on the shelf?

Reply to
John Nuttall