Bachmann Harry Potter set - Any good?

Hi

I have been looking at the Harry Potter Train Set from BACHMANN and am wondering if anyone here has it and if so, is it an "ok" set?

It seems like good value, but not if the detail levels and build standard are of a low quality. I am unconcerned about the track and

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I have one, and IMO it's good value for the money, espcecially now that it's being heavily dicounted as Pottermania dies down. The loco is nicely done, not superdetailed, but well-proportioned and accurate enough (it's a GWER Hall IIRC). The coaches are similarly medium level detail. It runs well, even with the simple power pack included with the set, but is a bit fussy on 18" R (the curves I used under the Christmas tree.) The couplers (British hook-and-loop style) operate at their limit at this radius, and the train derailed a few times. It would run (and look) a lot better on 22" R and up. Needs code 83 or taller rail. Looks very nice in a Christmas village setting. I'm satisfied.

NB: The scale is British OO - 4mm scale bodies running on 16.5 mm gauge.

If I wanted to run it on a scale layout, I would replace the couplers with KD #6 or similar long-shank couplers. I might even (shudder!) remove the buffers to obviate buffer lock when pushing.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hi Wolfe

thanks for the response - it does seem good value - I have the chance to buy three sets for around $110 + delivery, which sounds ok. At that sort of price, I felt it might be ok to super detail loco and coaches.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign